Liberty University's hiring practices andEEOStatement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the "religion" component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. Liberty University is in that category.
Carpenter Technician I
Does this position require driving?
Contact Phone Ext
Job Summary/Basic Function
The Carpenter Technician I, is responsible for constructing and repairing building frameworks and structures, such as stairways, doorframes, partitions, and rafters, made from wood, steel, and other raw materials. The Carpenter Technician I, will also be responsible for installing cabinets, siding, drywall, insulation, crown molding, and decks. Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion is essential to this job.
This position requires a high school diploma orGED. Minimum of 1+ years of related experience required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the Carpenter trade. Must be able to understand and follow directions, and work under limited Supervision. Must be able to work well with the public and co-workers and present a positive attitude. Clean and professional appearance. Must be courteous, detailed oriented. self-motivated, diligent, trustworthy, possess strong organizational skills and well-developed communication skills. Must be able to lift up to 75+ pounds and perform duties of the Carpenter trade in typical Virginia Climate. This position might require the use of and operation of aerial lifts or be willing and able to obtain aerial lift certifications, operate, and work from various aerial lifts and heights. Desire to work with a team to accomplish goals. Urgency to grow and improve. Certifications obtained while employed by Liberty University at the expense of the employer will be reimbursed back to the University upon voluntary termination (resignation) for the first 12 months after acquiring it.
1. As essential personnel: you are expected to be available in the event of school closings, delays, shutdowns and any emergencies including clean up required because of severe weather incidents. Performs snow removal activities as assigned. Such as shoveling, salting, etc. Maintenance Technicians are essential to the overall success of Liberty University and its day-to-day functions, especially during ongoing campus events such as Winter Fest, Orientation, Convocation, Commencement,CFAW, and summer camps amongst other planned and unplanned events throughout the year. Must be available to work scheduled and unscheduled hours as emergency needs arise.
2. Reports to work at the required time and performs duties as assigned by the Renovation Construction Manager or Carpenter TechnicianIII/ Lead
3. Works closely with the Supervisor and Lead to resolve any task concerns and needs that may arise.
4. Performs work in a safe and efficient manner under the company's safety and quality programs.
5. Performs duties of a Carpenter Technician I, such as, construct building frameworks, including walls, floors, and doorframes.
6. Assists erect, level and install building frameworks with the aid of rigging hardware and cranes.
7. Inspects and replaces damaged framework or other structures and fixtures.
8. Instructs and directs laborers and Carpenter Apprentice/ helpers.
9. Builds and sets forms for footings, walls, and slabs, and frames, finish exterior walls.
10. Assists with demolition associated with Renovation and Construction Projects.
11. Frame interior walls, build stairs, and install drywall, crown molding, doors and cabinets.
12. Assists other Carpenter Technicians with the repair, maintenance, and installation of floor tile, ceramic tile, and masonry tile.
13. Repair, replace, maintain, and installs windows, window frames, glass and hardware; as well as; Layout walls door and window openings, headers and joints using modern construction techniques.
14. Reads and interprets blueprints drawings, specifications, technical publications as needed.
15. Repairs, replace, maintain and install wall boards, sheet rock, weather stripping, base boards, insulation, waterproofing materials and suspended ceilings.
16. Must provide own hand tools to perform and complete trade related tasks.
17. Relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
19. Remains abreast of existing and emerging technologies, processes, products, services and leading industry performance benchmarks.
20. Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission.
Communication and Comprehension
Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well articulated information.
Ability to understand, speak, and write English in order to convey messages and correspond in an articulate and professional manner.
Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
Ability to read, understand and follow safety procedures.
Possess public communication skills that allow professional representation of Liberty University to a variety of business and community customers and associates.
Strong organizational skills.
Excellent computer skills.
Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment in order to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
Physical and Sensory Abilities
Frequently required to travel to, on and off campus locations.
Regularly required to hear and speak in order to effectively communicate orally.
Required to be able stand, walk, and climb stairs to move around campus for extended periods of time.
Must be able to lift up to 75+ pounds and perform duties of the Carpentry craft indoors and outdoors in typical Virginia climate.
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible daily hours as well as various evening hours.
Ability to use radio and telephone to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Must be able to perform physically demanding work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, and standing, walking and driving.
The working environments in which one will typically perform the essential functions of this position are indoor/ outdoor construction job sites and are subject to various weather conditions. It is well lighted, and the noise level is moderate.
Use of one's personal vehicle (or LU vehicles) is required for travel in the performance of the essential functions of this position. Proof of a valid Virginia driver's license, an acceptableDMVrecord, and liability insurance is required.
Monday - Friday
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible hours as well as various evening hours as needed.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Please answer all questions.
Please provide as much information about your past or current job experiences, education & certifications, etc. include any gained training, job duties or responsibilities that would apply to this position and would make you a qualified applicant.
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Career Advancement Form (For Current LU Employees ONLY)
- Pastoral Reference Letter