POSITION SPECIFICATION – Senior Director, Analytics and Research
A pioneer in the lifelong-learning market, The Teaching Company is a popular and growing media company that produces The Great Courses: a series of comprehensive and engaging, university-level, video and audio courses taught by the world’s greatest professors without the pressure of schedules, homework, or exams.
The Great Courses cover a wide variety of topics ranging from traditional liberal arts subjects, such as philosophy, history, literature, and the sciences, to practical classes, in photography, foreign languages, health and wellness, business skills, and much more. The company has ongoing partnerships with venerable educational brands such as the Smithsonian, National Geographic, Mayo Clinic, The Culinary Institute of America, and others.
The Teaching Company has developed a catalog of over 700 courses comprising over 8,900 hours of content. The Great Courses are delivered to customers via digital streaming, DVD, and CD sales on the e-commerce site www.TheGreatCourses.com; and, most recently, through The Great Courses Plus, a digital subscription platform that PC Magazine has called “Netflix for Learning.” The Great Courses can be found on Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Channels, Comcast Xfinity Video on Demand, Audible.com, Recorded Books, Kanopy, Hoopla, and more.
The Great Courses also has highly rated apps available across most major app platforms, including iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Alexa.
Since its establishment in 1990, The Teaching Company has sold more than 25 million courses and prominent and loyal customers of The Teaching Company include Bill Gates, Charles Schwab, and George Lucas, to name a few.
This position will be a thought leader in the company and pro-actively identify opportunities to add strategic value for entire company using insights from advanced statistical procedures, models and market research. The position will manage advanced statistical model development and deployment to enhance acquisition and retention objectives. The position will develop a cohesive vision about analytics, across departments and business units including marketing, customer care, product development and finance.
The position will analyze campaign performance, customer purchase behavior, and customer consumption behavior at an aggregate and micro-segmentation level on an ongoing basis to help the company achieve its goals. The position will help drive testing strategy to attain positive gains in customer purchase behavior and profitability. Marketing programs will include direct mail, email, DRTV, paid search, display ads, social media and other new initiatives and media across different countries including US, Canada, UK, and Australia. The position will also spearhead the utilization of analytics to enter new markets.
The position will work across departments, and will report to the SVP, Marketing.
Reports to SVP, Marketing
Direct reports: Senior Manager, Business Intelligence, Senior Manager, Data Science and Senior Manager, Market Research
Other key relationships: President & CEO
VP, Technology Services
VP, Product Development
· Provide strategic vision and guidance to senior leaders across the organization using the reporting and data insights provided by the analytics team
· Organize complicated analytics and insights into easy to understand concepts and actions for the organization
· Lead presentations and discussions around data related insights and projects with senior executives and team members
· Provide thought leadership and guidance to three senior managers on data engineering/business intelligence/advanced analytics/machine learning/market research
· Work with acquisition/retention leadership to define data engineering, business intelligence, digital analysis, and machine learning needs required to focus on acquisition funnel analytics and retention
· Provide guidance/analysis to help optimize product mix/length, etc.
· Lead analytics team efforts to crunch through massive amounts of streaming data and provide actionable insights around course/lecture analysis to senior leadership
· Provide leadership in cloud first modernization strategy for analytics stack
· Conduct future facing research into AI applications in the company, particularly around new course development.
· Own the analytics strategy and streamline analytic requests around new hardware/software/cloud computing to senior management
· Build and automate upsell and cross sell logic to raise customer spending across all channels on both the ecommerce and subscription platforms
· Proactively apply data mining and statistical techniques to provide insights into customer and prospect behavior in a way that they can be applied across all departments to improve ROI and drive growth
· Lead the market research team by providing thought leadership on business needs and converting research items into actionable work products.
· Combine survey data with purchase behavior data to obtain actionable insights
· Continuously incorporate latest advances in application of analytics and data analytics
· Mentor team to think innovatively for continuous improvement
The ideal candidate for the Senior Director, Analytics and Research position at TTC will have proven multi channel analytics experience across all online and offline media, as well as:
· A minimum of 10+ years multi-channel analytic experience
· Experience in digital Media, Entertainment and/or Education Industry preferred
· Demonstrated application of advanced statistical techniques for data analysis including ANOVA, regression, multivariate analysis, and multi dimensional scaling
· Application of data mining techniques including Decision Tree, Market Affinity, Survival Analysis, and Clustering to impact customer behavior
· Advanced web analytics to drive conversion, optimize merchandising and increase sales
· Direct mail analytics on prospect and customer mailings with expertise in squinch analysis, response analysis, customer acquisition economics, customer acquisition models, customer contact optimization, and lifetime value analysis
· Strong understanding of star schema-based data warehouse/data mart to build OLAP cubes
· Robust understanding of applied economics concepts to customer relationship
· Extensive experience in applied forecasting for customer acquisition and retention across different channels including direct response and ecommerce
· Strong understanding of customer survey techniques and converting survey results into actionable insights
· Experience in guiding product development by combining survey, consumption and purchase data
· Proficiency in an open source development platform like R or Python
· Hands on experience with Tableau is highly preferable
· Hands on experience with a cloud platform like AWS/Snowflake is highly preferable.
Bachelor’s degree in quantitative sciences is required; Master’s degree is preferred
Critical Competencies for Success
o Fluent in cutting edge analytical techniques
o Ability to quickly improvise methods to achieve objectives
o Thrive in fast paced environment
o Strong collaborative approach
o Strong communication skills with the ability to present complex ideas to audiences in ways that make them understandable and actionable
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
The Teaching Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.