This position has the responsibility and accountability for accurately performing phlebotomy and specimen collection of inpatients and/or outpatients. Samples collected by the phlebotomist are used for laboratory test procedures that are essential in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The Phlebotomist may also perform computer, courier, and clerical functions that are essential to laboratory operations. The Phlebotomist works in conjunction with and under the supervision of the Medical Technologists.Responsibilities:
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Following proper patient identification procedures, procures appropriate blood specimens by venipuncture, heelstick and fingerstick. As required, instructs patients on the collection procedures for laboratory specimens that are obtained by the patient, and may collect samples other than blood.
- Demonstrates dependability, reliability, and independent judgment recognizing priorities to accommodate department needs and acceptance of appropriate authority.
- Specimen collection may be performed at off-site locations. Transports specimens from on- and off-site collection areas to the appropriate section of the laboratory following established safety procedures.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, including hand hygiene techniques and proper isolation precautions., compliance and personnel policies.
- As required, performs related clerical duties, and utilizes various computer functions to accurately enter demographic information into the information system(s), enters test orders, receives, cancels, charges, and credits tests, while ascertaining adequacy of patient information as well as sample identity.
- Trains and orients new employees, students and residents, as applicable and as assigned.
- Inform technical staff, supervisory personnel and/or pathologists of any unusual or problematic incidents.
- May also perform arterial puncture following strict collection and post collection guidelines .
- Monitors and maintains supplies for those functions for which the position is responsible; uses materials and reagents in a cost-effective manner.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.Certification from an accredited Phlebotomy or Medical Assistant program is preferred. Minimum 6 months experience performing phlebotomy is preferred. Medical terminology knowledge and laboratory information system experience preferred.Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Phlebotomy Technician (PBT(ASCP)) or equivalent certification preferred.UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC's Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life &emdash; because we believe that you're at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we're driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Current UPMC employees must apply in HR Direct
Posting ID: 594796587Posted: 2021-03-10Job Title: Phlebotomist