Child Care - Camp CounselorSeasonal Part TimeSt. Charles County Family YMCAAge Requirement: 18+ Years of Age
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the general direction of the Day Camp Director & Assistant Day Camp Director, the incumbent is responsible for assisting with the overall program, supervision of children and day-to-day operation of the Y Camp program. While also ensuring developmentally appropriate practices and paying attention to the safety and individual needs of each camper while modeling, practicing and carrying out YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Follow general direction and perform other duties as assigned of by the Day Camp Director, Assistant Day Camp Director and/or designee.
2. Ensure the individual needs of the children are met within the program guidelines.
3. Utilize sound judgment and discretionary skills in accordance with the Gateway Region YMCA policies.
4. Maintain positive relationships with many diverse people, including staff, parents, volunteers and program site administration and demonstrate strong public relation skills.
5. Ensure YMCA policies and guidelines are followed at all times.
6. Maintain an environment that ensures children's safety and well-being.
7. Plan and implement developmentally appropriate activities.
8. May serve as support staff based on needs of program participants, ensuring approved levels of support, assistance, and record keeping.
9. All other duties assigned. The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Experience working with children.
- At least 1 year of attending or working at Day Camp program- preferred
- Ability to relate to children, parents, branch staff members and volunteers
- Become CPR/First Aid Certified within established YMCA timeline and YMCA required training.
- Physical Mobility: walking, climbing, stairs, standing, kneeling, bending, leaning, stooping and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Physical Dexterity: ability to use telephone, computer, electronic equipment, exercise equipment, office
- equipment (fax, copier, stapler, etc.), tools and machinery as needed.
- Lifting: ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Sensory Requirements: ability to hear, listen, speak, smell, touch, taste, see and distinguish colors.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.