We are seeking an experienced Senior Biostatistician to join our team in Alexandria, VA. The candidate will focus on providing high level expertise in applicable public health disciplines to collect, abstract, code, analyze, and interpret scientific data contained within information systems and databases related to public health for current work within the Department of Defense. The candidate will be responsible for statistical analysis and reporting of captured data and is expected to consult on design of statistical analysis plans, perform high-level statistical processes and report findings to multiple constituencies. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Includes the following (Other duties may be assigned): * Provides expertise in experimental design and sample size considerations, data collection, choosing and implementing appropriate statistical methodologies, and interpreting results.
* Conduct statistical analyses such as Structural Equation Modeling or longitudinal analyses on data sources.
* Provide data management, reporting and analysis support to study investigators using SPSS, R, SAS, and other statistical packages and tools (such as Excel, Tableau, and Python)
* Assist in obtaining, managing, and analyzing the monthly data
* Design, develop, and implement research methods and advanced data analytic techniques to analyze key questions related to suicide prevention program and intervention outcomes and effectiveness.
* Combine large and small data sets to explore hypotheses and answer research questions.
* Ability to conduct descriptive and inferential statistics, including regression and analysis of variance.
* Provide consultation on design of data processing systems, specifying the needed output, the required input and the methods of validation and quality control.
* Responsible for ensuring the statistical validity of study activities by solving problems occurring in the data collection process.
* Performs data replication studies and critically evaluates statistical procedures used to produce study results.
* Work with team to recommend and administer effective statistical methodology and strategies necessary for the creation, completion, and analysis of epidemiology or research projects and supervises the planning and designing of analytical procedures by others.
* Provide technical expertise, consultation, advice on statistical analysis, methods and techniques for data studies. Collaborate with other researchers in the healthcare disciplines.
* Convert highly statistical numerical output results into easily-understood written form for display in PowerPoint slides, Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.
* Perform data mining exercises to identify areas of excellent performance and areas of potential improvement.
* Apply statistical methods including, but not limited to: linear, logistic, and conditional logistic regression models, as well as survey statistics and survival analysis.
* Perform a variety of tasks relying on extensive clinical, statistical and information technology experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
* Prepare analysis plans and writes detailed specifications for analysis files, consistency checks, tables, and figures; communicate with clients regarding statistical analysis issues.
* Run utilization analyses and descriptive statistics, in order to support Logic Model for program evaluation.
* Conduct Automated Media Scoring. Obtain media articles on DoD suicide events weekly and score and evaluate the content; develop an algorithm to automate the media scoring process; develop tailored outreach methods to specific media outlets and reporters that regularly cover media reporting; expand and refine media scoring methods to include social media and other user-generated content sites.
* Review the annual report, provide written feedback, develop briefs, and disseminate findings.
* Merge disparate data sets to create one large operational data set for analysis of trends using data architecture and social science best practices.
* Conduct descriptive statistics, univariate and multivariate analyses, nonparametric models and statistics on an as needed basis.
* Develop scales, higher level nested models, hierarchical linear modeling, nested within units, as needed.
* Translate statistical analyses so that lay audiences will understand and comprehend information.
* Provide guidance and instruction on appropriate statistical evaluation methods and practices.
* Assists clients in interpretation of statistical results.
* Clearly summarize findings in oral, written, and graphical forms.
* Assist with justifying and defending statistical analyses to leadership and federal partners.
* Schedule meetings and teleconference calls, visit requests, parking, prepare meeting agendas, maintain meeting minutes, taskers and minutes repository
* SUPERVISORY/MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY None EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE * Doctorate Degree required in Biostatistics, Computer Science, Statistical Mathematics, or other related field and/or discipline.
* Minimum 5 years of experience as a Statistician/Biostatistician using commercial statistical software packages, preference for SPSS.
* Experience with sample size calculations and methodologies.
* Experience in Suicidology or other behavioral health discipline.
* Proficient in the use of analysis software, namely SPSS, SAS, and/or R and other innovative techniques (blockchain, etc.)
* Excellent written and verbal communication
* Proven application of Microsoft office suite (specifically Excel and PowerPoint)
* Familiarity with governmental agency policies, procedures, and culture.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES * Knowledge of surveillance and case-control study design and analysis. Experience with a variety of different groups in various disciplines.
* Strong database skills particularly querying and transforming datasets for import into various applications.
* Knowledge of various healthcare data sources and clinical issues.
* Knowledge of public health and social science approaches. Experience in Suicidology or other behavioral health disciplines preferred.
* Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods to plan and implement public health programs.
* Authoritative quantitative analysis skills, particularly in machine learning, multivariate statistical modeling, and data mining.
* Knowledge of analytical and evaluative techniques.
* Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
* Strong client management skills.
* Strong attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.
* Ability to respond effectively to changing events and competing priorities
* Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize to meet deadlines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT These duties occur in an office setting. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements.