Crown Cork & Seal's North American Beverage Packaging Division has an opening for a Chemical Process Operator at their manufacturing facility located in Nichols, New York. This position will manage and oversee the control environments for the washers and can washing equipment, coolant filtration systems and waste water treatment systems for this facility. This will involve performing basic laboratory testing such as titrations, pH and conductivity measurements, as well as working with various types of pumps, mixers, chemical feeds, pH controllers and tank level reading equipment. This role will also require repair and replacement duties associated with the waste water equipment and systems. Documentation of problems and maintenance of equipment and facility systems are also required.
- Ensure continuous flow of cans through washer, coolant through body makers, and water through treatment processes at desired throughputs to meet all production requirements
- Perform laboratory testing on a variety of POTW permit parameters such as pH, COD, Fluorides, and Manganese
- Oversee and perform basic mechanical repairs on pumps, mixers, chemical feed lines, pH controllers and tank level reading equipment
- Troubleshoot can washer bath and wastewater characteristic changes and provide chemical or process responses accordingly
- Maintain awareness of can line issues, process settings, and quality to assist production throughout plant
- Wear proper PPE and gain familiarity with chemicals used throughout process, their hazards, and the appropriate response protocol in the event of an emergency
- Complete process checks as required to maintain washer operation, coolant system and wastewater treatment
- Collect samples and perform basic chemical tests on water and coolant to ensure properties of process streams and produced water are within required limits
- Adjust can washer system settings based on key indicators (decorator trips, tear off rate, tooling usage, washer chemical usage, VTU bin dumps, etc.)
- Inspect and resolve any issue with can quality from the washer outfeed
- Walk the production line from the washer infeed to the decorator infeed to proactively anticipate and eliminate potential line maintenance issues that may arise
- Correct quantities of coolant, oil, and polymer added to coolant system to achieve desired blend through body makers
- Make up chemical day tanks for water and wastewater treatment processes
- Adjust chemical metering pumps and wastewater process streams in response to analytical testing results
- Perform routine process checks and maintenance on DI and soft water vessels
- Produce a detailed shift handover at the beginning and end of each shift
- Complete all daily housekeeping requirements, quality and processes checks, and answer AC/CAs related to assigned equipment.
- Maintain logbooks with production issues and corrective actions
- Coordinate breaks with team members to maintain constant line supervisor
- Walk/move around plant on feet 80-100% of 12-hour shift
- Lift up to 50lbs
Crown offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision/prescription/ life insurance and income protection benefits as well as a company funded pension plan, 401(K), stock purchase, tuition reimbursement and gain sharing programs. Also, as part of our Total Safety Culture, Crown is committed to the safety, health and well-being of all of our employees and their families. EEO/AA/Vets/Disabled.
Crown is an equal opportunity employer. Crown does not discriminate against any candidate or employee on the basis of race, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.