Position Summary: As a Health & Safety Manager; develop safety and health programs for various facets of the cultivation, processing, manufacturing, distribution and retail teams and performs activities to promote the maintenance of safe and healthy working conditions. Recommends measures to reduce or eliminate industrial accident and health hazards. Ensures compliance with OSHA as well as other local city, state and federal regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build positive and productive relationships focused on growing a safety culture with all levels of staff.
- Develop strategic plans and training for implementation of safety, environmental, and health compliance programs to provide a safe and healthy workplace at the sites.
- Coordinate corrective action with supervisors and managers to prevent recurring injuries.
- Develop training materials; organize sessions and give training on all aspects of safety related issues pertaining to the sites.
- Conduct periodic audits of the facilities to ensure safety, environmental and health regulations are being followed.
- Prepare written evaluations of audits and coordinate control action with department supervisors and managers.
- Conduct regular safety meetings with managers to inform managers of proper safety procedures.
- Analyze and interpret regulations to maintain operations in compliance with OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate personal protection equipment, fire safety equipment, ergonomic, and machine guarding equipment for cultivation sites and make recommendations.
- Perform process specification reviews, new hazardous materials evaluation and other technical procedure reviews to maintain compliance with OSHA guidelines.
- Coordinate cannabis, hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal with the appropriate agencies.
- Maintain compliance with the California Department of Food and Agriculture cultivation safety requirements .
- Administer all appropriate environmental permits and ensure compliance with them.
- Develop initiatives to reduce the level of cannabis, hazardous and non-hazardous waste generated by all cultivation sites through product substitution, recycling, reuse and process modification.
- Prepare required environmental compliance reports and submit them to the appropriate agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Interest and enjoyment in building effective relationships with staff.
- Effectively lead facility EH&S by example, demonstrating commitment to the business and values, motivates employee's compliance and sets clear expectations.
- Good coaching skills, able to pass on experience and advice effectively to members of the team.
- Creates an environment to support change and takes responsibility for inspiring, leading and executing a safety culture.
- Project management skills: Considers and executes projects successfully.
- Able to make effective decisions.
- Able to perform Gap analysis, document shortfalls, develop strategies and implement.
- Well organized with good attention to detail
- Able to work calmly under pressure.
- Able to use own initiative to complete a task; committed to continuous improvement
- Confident, enthusiastic and a team player with a 'can do' attitude; driven to achieve the optimum outcome
- Have a basic understanding of cannabis laws, rules and regulations set forth by the state
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated computer proficiency including use of spreadsheets or database systems
- Demonstrated organization and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of various computer software and application tools
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Must be able to lift up to a maximum of 50 lbs. occasionally without assistance or 100 lbs. with assistance.
- Regularly required to perform carrying, grasping, lifting, walking, standing, some bending/crouching, stooping, stretching, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time while maintaining focus.
- Able to be in varying temperature and humidity environmental conditions
- 20% Traveling and Driving to multiple sites across California
- May require working rotating shifts with varied hours/day, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events
- Valid Drivers License
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum age of 21 years or older and pass a criminal background check.
- High school or equivalent
- Must possess a working knowledge and understand DOT, OSHA EPA
- Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Health, Safety, or a related scientific field such as biology, chemistry, or engineering highly preferred.
- Experience working in a regulated cannabis environment preferred.
Los Alamos Farm Equipment is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
*Please note, this position is onsite. Will not be a remote position. Our offices are located in Beverly Hills and will be required to travel to Lancaster, Cudahy and Los Alamos.
*Please be advised that this individual will also need to be comfortable working with Cannabis.
Posting ID: 605202505Posted: 2021-03-21Job Title: Health Safety Manager