JOB SUMMARY: This position independently performs complex diagnostics, service repairs and maintenance work on customer and/or dealer-owned agricultural equipment/outdoor power equipment. The position may perform this work both in-house and on-site at the customer’s location. This position may require some direction or guidance from the Service Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform complex agricultural equipment/outdoor power equipment diagnostics and determine what repairs are needed, if any.
- Perform complex agricultural equipment/outdoor power equipment repairs as requested by the Service Manager or Foreman.
- Perform routine maintenance checks servicing fuel, brake, and transmission systems to ensure peak performance, safety, and longevity of the equipment.
- Participates in Formal Service education and training programs required for the development of skills and knowledge.
- May review and explain any maintenance, repair, or other service concerns directly with the customer and documents this interaction on the work order.
- Promote and sell Goldman’s Partner Promise and other service programs directly to customers.
- Assist Service Manager in maintaining the proper seasonal parts inventory in conjunction with the Parts Department.
- Maintain current product knowledge of John Deere and competitive products.
- Maintain condition of vehicles, inventory, tools, and equipment.
- Complete all reports and forms required in conjunction with work assignments.
- Account for all time and material used in performing assigned duties.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations in performing work assignments.
- Mentor other Service Technician employees.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Agricultural Equipment Technology, (John Deere Ag-Tech two year program), preferred
- John Deere Master Mechanic certification a PLUS
- Secondary education or training in heavy equipment mechanics that includes electronics and hydraulics
- 4 or more years experience repairing agricultural equipment/outdoor power equipment, John Deere specifics, preferred
- 4 years experience performing simple welds, welding techniques
- 4 years experience in standard computer software, internet
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and techniques used in the repair of outdoor power equipment/agricultural equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
- Ability to perform complex repairs and required maintenance using special tools and equipment following Technical Manual procedures.
- Ability to work varying shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to use Service Advisor and basic computer functions.
- Ability to deal with employees and public in a courteous, tactful, and patient manner.
- Ability to take initiative and organize responsibilities and job duties to obtain maximum effectiveness.
- Ability to teach others through demonstrative, hands-on techniques.
- Ability to “think outside the box” and use creative thought processes in problem solving.
- Ability to understand and carry out upper management requests.
- Excellent skills in operating vehicles and equipment used for diagnostic purposes.
- Excellent technical skills.
- Ability to operate vehicles and equipment used for diagnostic purposes.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Good observation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Prompt and regular attendance
- Valid driver’s license required
- Strong Customer orientation
- Display Positive Energy
- Hand and power tools
- Diagnostic equipment
- Welding equipment
- Wide range of agricultural, industrial (motorized), and Consumer power equipment
- PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands or arms; occasionally required to climb and maintain balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with assistance if needed, frequently lift and/or move 20 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 or more pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision, the ability to distinguish and identify colors, depth perception, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- The working environment while performing the duties of this job will require the employee to frequently work near moving mechanical parts, be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold (weather), extreme heat (weather), and vibrations, occasionally be required to climb and work at an elevated level from 6 to 10 feet.
- SELECTION GUIDELINES: Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Posting ID: 609139422Posted: 2021-03-20Job Title: Service Technician