Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
The Maintenance Specialist I (HVAC) performs basic work in the maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, refrigeration, and air conditioning systems at the North Texas State Hospital - Wichita Falls campus. Assists in alterations to buildings, new construction, repairs, and preventative maintenance. Documents information for entry into an automated work order program to ensure accurate cost accounting of materials and time. Stands emergency maintenance call on a rotating basis as scheduled. Works under moderate supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Work is performed under the supervision of the HVAC Mechanic II, the Assistant Plant Maintenance Manager and Plant Maintenance Manager.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
2. Diagnose malfunctions in refrigeration, air conditioning & heating equipment and repair malfunctioning equipment.
3. Maintain a preventative maintenance program on all equipment assigned to the HVAC shop.
4. Install new refrigeration, HVAC and heating units.
5. Correctly read blueprints and schematic drawings.
6. Take temperature readings, adjust thermostats and restart compressors under the direction of the HVAC Mechanic II.
7. Documents work order information for entry into an automated work order program to ensure accurate cost accounting of materials and time.
8. Employee will not go delinquent in their required training per state requirements.
9. Stands emergency maintenance call on a rotating basis according to Maintenance Procedures to provide needed services.
10. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Working knowledge of the general principles of refrigeration, air conditioning and heating systems.
2. Good verbal and written communication skills.
3. Basic working knowledge of, and ability to understand blueprints and schematics.
4. Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions and to prepare simple reports.
5. Basic knowledge of energy management systems.
6. Basic computer knowledge.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Must possess valid Texas driver's license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver's license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Must pass the Universal EPA refrigeration test within six months after hire date.
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Basic Knowledge of the HVAC Trade / Building Maintenance is preferred
3. Ability to communicate clearly in written English as evidenced by the application
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
All new hire candidates will be required to receive COVID-19 medical screening (nasal test) as part of the due diligence process.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 11B/C, 12V/W, 18C, 19D/K, 91C/L, AB, BU, CM, CN, EO, HT, SW, 100, 210, BM, DC, 1100, 1300, 1316, 3E2X1, 2E3X1, 3E4X1, 3E4X3. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.