St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
Exciting opportunity to be part of the team making St. Luke's history. St. Luke's University Health Network is preparing to open its first inpatient unit dedicated to adolescent inpatient psychiatric care. The 16 - bed, single occupancy style unit will be staffed by adolescent psychiatrists, registered nurses, behavioral health technicians, and care managers. Located within Easton Hospital, the multidisciplinary care teams will focus on the stabilization and treatment of children ages 12 - 17 in crisis. The unit provides an optimal setting for mental health services aimed at meeting the needs of young people and their families. The physical environment promotes a range of activities such as group and recreational therapies, music, quiet space, access to technology to facilitate education, and family visitation. These new beds will mean that families will not have to send their children hours away for appropriate treatment. St. Luke's is committed to creating healthcare access to the communities we serve, and the expansion of inpatient behavioral health services to support our children in the community is that next step.
The Behavioral Health Registered Nurse is responsible for coordinating and providing individualized quality patient care for the adolescent, adult and/or older adult patient with mental illness, based on the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Works cooperatively with ancillary, nursing and other patient-team personnel to maintain standards for professional nursing practice. These nursing functions of the RN are carried out according to the Pennsylvania Nurse Practice Act, hospital policy, the hospital Mission Statement, and the Philosophy of the Department of Nursing.
Opportunities for experienced RN's and Graduate Nurses JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrates competency in the assessment, range of treatment, knowledge of growth and development and communication appropriate to the age of the patient treated. Performs assessment of the mental and physical status of all assigned patients. Implements, evaluates, and documents patient care interventions and patient responses in accordance with hospital policy.
- Demonstrates accountability for initiating and maintaining the multi-disciplinary treatment plans, assuring that all elements are reviewed and revised as required by departmental policy and regulatory standards.
- Assesses patient/family learning needs and provides and documents psycho-educational interventions by utilizing a variety of therapeutic programming modalities (patient education groups, individual sessions, etc.).
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge base of psychopharmacology.
- Demonstrates appropriate skill as a member of the Control Team, in responding to agitation/violent behavior of individuals requiring verbal de-escalation and/or physical restraint.
- Demonstrates competence in caring for the patient requiring restraints or seclusion.
- Collaborates with others to complete job duties as appropriate, is open to considering and offering new ideas and approaches to doing things
- Demonstrates proper chain of command for work related issues.
- Directly supervises and is accountable for the care provided by the Mental Health Technician and all other ancillary staff.
- Maintains clinical records of all patient contact according to hospital policy and other regulatory guidelines (i.e., State, JCAHO). Documents patient information thoroughly, reflecting consideration of treatment plan.
- Completes Departmental Orientation Checklist within 90 days of employment and completes all identified competencies for job description on an annual basis.
Sit up to 2 hours per day; 1 hour at a time. Stand for up to 8 hours per day, 4 hours at a time. Walk 6 hours per day; 10 minutes at a time. Consistently lift, carry and push objects up to 10 lbs. Frequently lift, carry and push objects up to 75 lbs. Transport patients weighing up to 250 lbs. via wheelchair, bed and/or stretcher with assistance when appropriate. Consistently pull up to 10 lbs. Frequently pull up to 250 lbs. with assistance when appropriate. Frequently stoop and bend, crouch, kneel and climb. Frequently reach above shoulder level. Occasional crawling. Must be able to perceive attributes of an object through touch. Frequently finger and handle objects. Occasionally firmly grasp, twist, and turn objects with hands and fingers. Must be able to hear as it relates to normal conversation, and high and low frequencies. Must be able to see as it relates to general, near, far color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and visual monotony (e.g. computer screen). EDUCATION:
Registered Nurse with current license to practice in the state of Pennsylvania or seeking Pennsylvania licensure through reciprocity. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Previous psychiatric, medical, and / or geriatric nursing experience preferred. ANCC certification in Psychiatric and Mental Health nursing preferred. Evidence of successful completion of BLS. WORK SCHEDULE:
Full-time days 7a-7p
Full time nights 7p-7a
Part-time days 7a-7p
Part -time nights 7p-7a
Weekend Options available for experienced nurses- days and nights (3- 12 hour weekend shifts).
Holiday and weekend rotation as scheduled.Flexibility for scheduling required for training and unit opening.Shift rotation may be required to meet staffing needs.Please complete your application using your full legal name andcurrent home address. Be sure toincludeemployment history forthe past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you areencouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications andlicenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.