GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direction of a Staff Pharmacist and/or Certified Technician Specialist, follows established policies and procedures to perform a variety of routine technical and clerical support tasks that are integral to the operation of the Pharmacy department. Tasks include preparation of unit dose medications, outpatient prescriptions, intravenous admixtures and stock orders.
These tasks are designed to assist the Pharmacist in the preparation and delivery of pharmaceutical supplies and medications in accordance with the laws and regulations of the Board of Registration in Pharmacy. Most tasks require the review and authorization of a licensed Pharmacist.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Calculate doses and prepare extemporaneous dosage forms under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist .
2. Assist in the dispensing of medications to nursing units for immediate patient use using bar-code scanning to ensure accurate dispensing of mediations.
3. Perform hourly rounds to Nursing units to deliver medications and return unused medications to Pharmacy to be credited. All deliveries and returns employ bar-code and scanning technology.
4. Provide computer operation support for the Pharmacy and other hospital departments by printing reports, labels and forms.
5. Assist in dispensing and maintaining appropriate records for investigational medications.
6. Inventory, replenish and maintain the organization of medications and supplies in Pharmacy areas, including Omnicell cabinets.
7. Receive, check, and store pharmaceutical supplies and medications from vendors.
8. Fill medication supply requisitions for the operating room, emergency ward, clinics and nursing units.
9. Perform monthly floor inspections of nursing area as assigned.
10. Prepare discharge prescriptions.
11. Assist in the maintenance of laboratory, computer and other equipment.
12. Answer the phone, provide information and direct calls to the appropriate Pharmacy areas.
13. Maintain clean and organized work areas.
14. Performs medication expiration date checking as assigned.
15. Perform delivery duties as required using bar-code and scanning technology.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must be at least 18 years of age.
3. Successful completion of a Pharmacy technician training program or completed 500 hours of employment as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee.
4. Must be a registered Pharmacy Intern with the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy.
5. Familiarity with medical terminology, abbreviations and computer technology is required.
6. Upon departmental orientation and annually thereafter, must complete training which includes:
• OSHA/Fire Safety
• Infection control
• Safe handling of chemotherapeutic agents
Annual Competency Assessments:
Automated Dispensing Machines
Laws and Regulations
Identification of drugs, dosages, routes and storage requirements
1. Satisfactory command of the English language.
2. The ability to read, interpret and follow complicated verbal and written instructions precisely.
3. Ability to work with sustained attention and care on routine repetitive tasks.
4. Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
5. Must be able to work accurately under stress with time constraints.
6. Above average communication skills and knowledge of Pharmacy policies and procedures is essential.
7. Ability to perform in a professional and courteous manner and maintain working relationships with Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists and other health care professionals.
8. Understanding medical terminology, abbreviations and computer operation.
9. Time management and organizational skills to handle multiple tasks under time constraints.
10. Ability to organize and maintain efficient work areas and services.
11. Ability to make decisions based on knowledge of procedural requirements of the work in conjunction with specific skills and abilities of the technician.
12. Ability to distinguish routine functions from those requiring a Pharmacist's professional judgement.
13. Ability to spend most of the work time standing or walking in order to complete daily tasks.
14. Ability to lift heavy loads sometimes required setting up and filling medication supply orders.
15. Ability to acquire skills necessary in operation of Pharmacy equipment.
Posting ID: 611342068Posted: 2021-03-09Job Title: Intern Rotate