SUMMARY: The Pre-Construction Manager reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Pre-Construction and is responsible for takeoffs, budgeting, and estimating. This role requires the analysis of historical data and the ability to forecast increases and market trends based on current industry information.
This position is a full-time, salaried position exempt from overtime.
Education: A 4-year college degree is required. A Bachelor of Science degree with a concentration in Building Science or Engineering is preferred.
Experience: Three to Four years previous work experience as an Assistant Pre-Construction Manager with a multifamily or commercial building construction contractor. Background in applicable estimating software is recommended.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is a non-exhaustive outline of job responsibilities.
Other duties will be assigned. Travel is required.
· Perform take offs of conceptual projects and pre-construction plans;
· Evaluate conceptual plans and create initial project budgets;
· Compare initial project budgets to active and historic project budgets;
· Update initial project budgets as plans are developed and revised.
· Check Subcontractors’ bids and estimates as needed to ensure accuracy.
· Visit job sites and proposed sites as required to perform estimates and gather
· Conduct cost feasibility studies on different building types, materials, etc.;
· Research new building systems and materials for future projects;
· Develop new vendors, suppliers, subcontractor relationships;
· Provide consolidated construction cost and unit turn projections for all planned
· Plan, organize, and control construction estimating activities.
· Provide estimates as necessary for the Project Manager to buy-out and negotiate all subcontracts and purchase orders.
· Evaluate plan revisions, field changes, and proposed change orders and report
the impact on the overall construction budget to the Project Manager.
· Prepare project budget comparison reports;
· Perform market research and cost analyses as needed;
· Check Subcontractors’ bids and estimates as needed to ensure accuracy;
· Perform project specific take off estimates as requested;
· Prepare reports and analysis pertinent to estimating activities as requested;
· Prepare, coordinate, review, and distribute estimates in accordance with SLR
policies and procedures.
· Maintain all estimating documents and records.
· Document Architectural, Structural, and Consultant reviews of plans, including pier reviews.
· Review plans and document code, cost, constructability, etc. concerns.
Skills and Abilities
· On-Screen Takeoff
· MS Office & MS Project software with expertise in Microsoft Excel, Project,
PowerPoint, and Word. Experience with Procore, Textura, Docusign, and Box.com is beneficial
· Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and lead
all team efforts. Independent, logical thinking and a high level of initiative and strong work ethic are essential.
· Must possess superior analytical, quantitative, problem solving, writing and communication skills
· Flexible with a positive attitude and willingness to work additional hours to
complete projects within a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
· Foster a cooperative and informative relationship among the Construction team.
· Develop a teamwork atmosphere with the Development team.
· Ensure a working relationship with the Management Team and address all of their concerns and issues promptly.
· Provide training, guidance, and career development for subordinates.
· Offer constructive feedback, evaluation, and praise.
· Be a positive role model and mentor.
· Exhibit fairness and professional ethics at all times.
· Provide opportunities for career growth and personal development.