GDIT is your place. You make it your own by bringing your ideas and unique perspective to our culture. By owning your opportunity at GDIT, you are helping us ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. Our work depends on a Senior Linux Application Engineer joining our team to support the mission of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in Rockville, Md.
At GDIT, people are our differentiator. As a Senior Linux Application Engineer, you will work closely with six other innovative and savvy people to support and deploy scientific and business applications and expand application hosting capabilities with new tools and technologies.. You’ll help automate and streamline our operations and processes, and further the adoption of DevOps best practices. We’ll want your opinion on operational processes, automated deployments, technology and tools, and more. A focus on always-up, always-available applications is a plus. In this role, a typical day will include the following:
• Configure and support the day-to-day application management tasks such as troubleshooting issues, deploying changes, installing and configuring new custom and third-party applications, remediating application security vulnerabilities, and optimizing performance settings.
• Monitor the health of applications and respond to alerts such as service down, failed backup, slow response time, or full file systems.
• Work closely with application owners and software engineers to identify requirements, plan, and implement projects such as installing new custom applications with web services, database components, data hosting, and load balancing. • Automate day-to-day processes and create self-service capabilities to empower software developers and application owners to perform routine maintenance tasks such as renewing TLS certificates, changing service account passwords, and rebooting application servers.
• Research and recommend innovative approaches for application hosting to modernize our customers hosting environment and speed up time to deliver.
• Document day-to-day administrative processes and configuration information about our customers applications. After hours and weekend work may occasionally be required for pre-planned maintenance or for troubleshooting service-impacting outages.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• BA/BS or equivalent and eight years related experience or a MS and six years experience.
• Years of relevant experience
o Minimum of five years’ hands-on experience with Linux/Unix variants, especially RedHat/RHEL version 6.x/7.x and its derivatives, including best practices for deploying LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) applications and supporting variants of LAMP such as Tomcat, Java, Python, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL.
• Technical skills
o Expert knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x & 7.x to include troubleshooting complex issues, configuration best practices, security hardening, and automated provisioning.
o Experience in managing hardware load balanced applications
o Experience in creating, applying and troubleshooting TLS certificates for web servers such as Tomcat, Apache, or nginx
o Experience with Puppet configuration management system and writing Puppet manifests or equivalent experience with Ansible or Chef
o Experience with content management and learning frameworks such as Drupal 7.x & 8.x or Moodle on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
o Experience installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting MySQL, MariaDB, and Postgres databases
o Experience designing and implementing technologies following NIST standards, such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291. o Strong scripting experience with Python, Bash, Java, or Ruby
o Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements
o Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of DevOps.
o Ability to get and maintain a Public Trust security clearance level
• Preferred qualifications
o Experience with access and authentication technologies such as LDAP, SimpleSAML, or Kerberos
o Knowledge of layer 3 networking technologies such as switching and routing
o Knowledge of enterprise storage protocols such as NFS v4, CIFS, and SMB
o Experience configuring CI/CD pipelines using GoCD, Jenkins, or Azure DevOps Pipelines
o Experience breaking down monolithic applications into microservices and Docker containers