Responsible for the comprehensive delivery of outpatient preventive health and wellness-focused nutrition consultation using evidence-based practices. Screens, assesses and implements nutrition care plans; documents in EPIC and coordinates patient care with Executive Health Services and Concierge Medicine staff. Tailors his/her approach to care delivery/recommendations based on the patient's needs; recognizing he/she will be providing services for patients who vary in age, need and other demographics. Participates in scheduled lectures or Web-ex presentations at established client accounts on a periodic basis, often in conjunction with other department colleagues.Clinical Responsibilities
- Provides outpatient nutrition consultation focused on preventive health and wellness to patients seen within the Center for International and Specialized Services suite, with a primary focus on Executive Physical and Concierge Medicine patients. Assists patients with adjusting their nutritional goals, with ultimate goal of achieving optimal health and well-being for them.
- Acts as a consultant to clinical and administrative team members. Informs and educates staff regarding current developments in nutrition, especially in their one or two specialty areas.
- Provides outpatient nutrition consultation to Concierge Medicine patients focused on disease management, especially cardiovascular risk reduction. Acknowledging there is not a "one size fits all" approach.
- Obtains comprehensive data on individual patients' personal, medical/health histories including anthropometric, lab results, medications, demographics, lifestyle habits and activity/exercise and incorporates this into the nutrition consultation.
- Obtains nutrition history; determines nutrient and energy requirements, as needed, to assist patients in reaching their goals.
- Identifies and reviews possible food/medication/herb interactions.
- Formulates nutrition care plans based upon patients' individual goals. Establishes follow-up plans, as necessary, and continues providing nutrition care to meet the patient's goals and/or obtain appropriate clinical outcomes.
- Documents initial and follow-up nutrition health assessments in the medical record per department standards- EPIC
- Generally, provides nutrition consultations within the clinical suite, but opportunity for limited remote-work possible based on patient preferences/availability.
- Performs body composition analysis (seca mBCA 515); thoroughly reviews results with patients and makes appropriate lifestyle and nutrition recommendations based on findings.
- Other duties as necessary and required
- Develops, leads and presents nutrition lectures or webinars for client companies on a periodic basis.
- Integrates nutrition recommendations with other aspects of patient care by participating in interdisciplinary discussions focused on patients.
- Develops professional portfolio consistent with area of practice and seeks continuing education activities to maintain competence.
- May conduct quarterly in-service trainings to both clinical and non-clinical staff.
- Interprets nutrition trends found in the public media for accuracy and clarification
- Assists with identifying and preparing science-based, consumer-oriented educational materials for patients and employer clients
- Assists with evaluating and updating department protocols for nutrition care
- May participate in research activities which advance the body of knowledge in their specialty areas.
- Other duties as necessary and required
Registered Dietitian – Commission on Dietetic Registration
Licensed Dietitian – Commonwealth of MA Preferred
Health Coach Certification – preferredEducation
MS in Nutrition, Dietetics, or related area required
Incumbents who do not have a Master's degree are grandfathered with 10 or more yrs of progressively responsible clinical experienceSkills/Expereience
- 5 years' minimum clinical experience required; at least 1 of which is in an outpatient setting.
- Demonstrated clinical experience/competency for nutrition services in 2 or more specialty areas through at least two years' experience in the specialty area, certification, and/or CEUs, such as sports and cardiovascular nutrition, and weight management.
- Outstanding clinical and communication skills; brings excellence in understanding of nutrition within a medical setting and tailors his/her communication approach to a variety patients and staff
- Sound judgment: understands when and how to escalate concerns. Has the utmost respect for patient confidentiality.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of the team.
- Proven self-starter, able to integrate oneself as a key member of the clinical team and establish oneself as the resident ‘nutrition expert.'
- Creativity: brings energy and innovative ideas for creative implementation of an established nutrition consultative service across all services lines.
- Proven ability to counsel patients and assist them in developing and reaching their nutrition goals.
Outpatient clinical suite located at 50 Staniford Street. This role is primarily an in-person role, but there may be an opportunity for limited remote work depending on the patient's needs/availability.