We Are HiringPharmacy Technician Inpatient- Full Time- Rotating Shift-Ascension Oakland Hospital Madison Heights, MIThis is a collective bargaining agreement union position.What We Offer You
Wellbeing programs and holistic growth opportunities
Work-life balance through generous paid time off
Medical, dental, vision and retirement matchWhat You Will Do
Under close supervision of a pharmacist, the pharmacy technician performs various functions associated with the dispensing of prescriptions and pharmaceutical supplies, including processing patient and interdepartmental charges, processing requests for products from pharmacy inventory,
IVPB and LV preparation, and providing delivery or messenger services. Serve as a liaison between the staff/public and pharmacy services through contacts with staff/public to convey and receive information to maintain patient care.
What You Will Need
- Review prescription label and fills the order accurately.
- Compute and compile charges for prescription and pharmaceutical supplies.
- Prepare nursing unit stock supply as requested.
- Order (place items needed on the want book) and maintain sufficient inventory of pharmaceutical supplies in all dispensing areas and notification to responsible people when reorder levels are reached.
- Serve as liaison between department, public and the hospital by conferring with individuals both personally and over the telephone to resolve problems and respond to questions.
- Compound IVs according to department specifications, including large volume parenterals, piggyback medications, and adults hyper alimentation.
- Operate the computers to generate needed labels, reports, MARs, and any other printing as needed.
- Responsible for maintenance of all equipment and clean work area, documentation where needed for quality assurance, preparation of unit dose carts for delivery to nursing units, delivery of IV and unit dose carts to nursing units and preparation of medication in unit of use packages when necessary.
- Assist with the training and education of new personnel.
- The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the patient served in their assigned area. Possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information relative to the patients age-specific needs and provide care needed, including but not limited to principles of growth and
development, psychological needs, physiological needs, etc., as described in the policies and procedures manual.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrate the ability to sort and file medication orders and dispensing records. Alphabetizing and reading and writing skills are required.
- Demonstrate verbal and phone communication skills (good diction and pronunciation of the English language and drug names) for customer relations and relaying messages.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of drug names (brand and generic terms), medical and prescription abbreviations, pharmaceutical calculations and military time to be able to read and process prescription orders.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of aseptic technique and safe handling of antimicrobials and biologicals.
- Demonstrate manual dexterity and grip strength to safely perform complicated manipulation of sterile products.
- Other physical activities that may be required include carrying, some heavy lifting (up to 40 lbs.), standing, walking, bending, stooping, reaching, writing, talking and visual acuity to be able to read fine print (labels, expiration dating, and syringe calibrations).
- Demonstrate the ability to operate the telephone, fax machine, personal computer, typewriter, calculator, packaging equipment, automated dispensing equipment and pneumatic tube system.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow oral and written instructions with accuracy, speed and dependability.
- Must be able to take direction from pharmacists and refer clinical issues appropriately.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
- Ability to assist in meeting the pharmaceutical care needs of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- Licensed Pharmacy Tech credentialed from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date required.
- High School graduate or equivalent is required.
- Community college, vocational school or formalized hospital pharmacy technician training (or related work experience) preferred.
- Personal computer or mainframe order entry experience preferred.
No additional preferences. Why Join Our Team
Ascension Michigan employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a collaborative work environment, professional development opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension SE Michigan is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. Associates and Applicants receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
Pay Non-Discrimination Notice:
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
Right to Work