At least 1 year of OR experience required.
OrthoVirginia, Virginia's largest provider of expert orthopedic and therapy care, is currently seeking a full-time, experienced Operating Room Registered Nurse to join our team! Along with a collaborative, team-oriented work environment, our outstanding employment package includes: competitive salaries, excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid time off (PTO), a generous 401k incentive plan, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and a company-wide wellness program.
The Operating Room Registered Nurse provides nursing care to the patient during the intraoperative phase, performs nursing activities in the operating room where the circulating nurse is the patient's advocate, and answers patient needs by assisting the physician and person responsible for anesthesia care.
Primary Functions & Accountabilities
- Organizes time, equipment, supplies, and staff to provide effective case management.
- Supervises and directs patient care in a single operating room.
- Organizes nursing activities efficiently and effectively delegating activities appropriate to the abilities of available staff members.
- Assists with supply, drug, and equipment inventories to maintain stock level and availability.
- Addresses patient needs during admission to the operating room with attention to requirements specific to the outpatient setting.
- Identifies the patient and correct surgical intervention according to Facility policy and communicates with all surgical team members.
- Reviews the patient's medical record and needs to plan care with other health care team members.
- Provides comfort and reassurance to the patient; maintains patient's privacy and dignity.
- Explains intraoperative phase routine procedures and care to the patient.
- Performs the circulating nurse's functions adhering to approved operating room procedures for the scheduled procedure.
- Prepares operating room according to the procedure to be performed and patient needs.
- Anticipates needs of the surgical team; assists anesthesia staff by supporting the patient during administration of anesthesia.
- Provides continuity of patient care by communicating with other perioperative care personnel and documenting records appropriately.
- Responds in a timely manner to meet the needs of the patient and physician.
- Documents patient care records and other forms accurately according to facility policy.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within OR Nursing
- Knowledge and experience in the perioperative care of surgical patients
- Knowledge of specialized equipment used in the OR
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to respond effectively to emergencies, actual events or drills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient and employee information
- Degree from an accredited school of nursing
- Current Nursing License
- CPR Certification
- 2+ years Operating Room experience required
- Orthopedic experience highly preferred
- Category I exposure to blood borne pathogens; frequent exposure to chemical hazards; may encounter radiation hazards
- Physical health sufficient to meet the ergonomic standards and demands of the position
1 to 20+ years