The School of Professional Studies is seeking an adjunct instructor to develop an Introduction to Computer Science online course that will be delivered in a self-paced format geared toward students preparing to enter degree programs in the health professions. The instructor will provide subject matter expertise and real-world examples as part of the course development process and will partner with a senior course designer who has a PhD in instructional technology and who is responsible for the back-end development.
- Work with assigned course designer to develop courses into self-paced, online courses available for academic credit
- Develop courses with a module approach, creating a more detailed breakdown of lessons. Students will be required to complete the self-paced courses within 16 weeks, but can move through the material faster.
- Provide guidance on the content that needs to be covered in each lesson. Review existing course content (if available) and make recommendations on what can be adapted.
- Work with course designer to develop content (videos, discussion boards, quizzes, exams) as needed
- Record videos in studio on Boston or Worcester campus, or remotely following guidance
- Determine the key learning concepts that need to be assessed and the most effective and scalable assessment methods. Draft content for assessments that correspond to lessons/modules as well as cumulative assessments. Work with course designer to develop effective assessments that can scale to accommodate large numbers of students.
- Evaluate publisher content, lab kits, and virtual lab content for potential use, if available
- Support incorporation of diversity, equity and inclusion into the curriculum
- Ensure the course meets the high quality standards of other MCPHS online and on-campus courses
- Recommend approaches for assignments and exams that ensure academic integrity and enable the course to scale in terms of enrollment
- Identify tactics to improve the course based on feedback from its first run
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor
Courses will be delivered year-round and opportunities exist to teach the course once it is developed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in subject area or related field preferred.
- Previous experience developing online courses and/or teaching undergraduate material in the subject area online
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- A commitment to student success and the ability to engage and motivate students in an online format
- Comfort with ambiguity and effective problem-solving related to launching a new initiative
- Experience teaching subject matter for students entering health professions
- Experience with a learning management system, such as Blackboard
Please attach a cover letter and a curriculum vitae or resume. No phone calls, please. Principals only. Finalist candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. MCPHS University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who would enrich the University’s diversity are encouraged to apply.
Come join us and be a part of a diverse community that is at the forefront of advancing the healthcare landscape! To learn more about working at MCPHS University, please click here.
MCPHS University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.