Working in the retail stores, baristas provide courteous, knowledgeable outstanding customer service through excellent product knowledge and superior barista skills. Baristas support all sales efforts in the retail stores through outstanding customer service, beverages prepared according to Intelligentsia’s highest standards, and a commitment to quality in all of the goods the company offers.
- Adhere to all company policies and protocols, both behind the bar and at the front of house, including those for cash handling and safety, while maintaining a clean and organized work space so fellow team members can locate resources and products quickly
- Ensure that the company’s brand is properly reflected by keeping a well maintained, clean, well-organized and stocked coffeebar
- Uphold the company’s standards regarding merchandising, inventory and rotation of store products
- Offer relevant, thoughtful ideas and suggestions for improving operations
- Ensure adherence to the company’s dress code, as well as all health and safety requirements
- Prepare and serve coffee and tea beverages that adhere to the company’s freshness and quality standards ensuring that they consistently reflect the company’s recipe and presentation standards
- Complete the required training modules contained in the Retail Training Manual; Baristas are encouraged to pursue the completion of additional training modules
- Maintain coffee knowledge on current offerings and confidently and accurately communicate product information to customers
- Actively participate in coffee and tea tastings to further product knowledge and help identify any issues or deficiencies
- Educate customers and staff on all coffee and teas carried
- Assist in the training and development of new staff
- Attend training sessions to constantly advance education on coffee, tea, merchandise, and espresso bar skills; work with your Educator to further your barista skills
- Demonstrate an ongoing pursuit of education, training, and industry trends
- Ensure customers are warmly received and welcomed; engage the customers in a sincere and friendly manner, including greeting customers with a smile, thanking them for their patronage, and preparing drinks in an expedient manner
- Respond to questions, orders, and concerns with patience, confidence, and professionalism
- Engage customers about their drink preferences and tailor suggestions accordingly
- Facilitate easy dialogue with customers regarding other product offerings, including whole bean coffee, tea, complementary food offerings, merchandise, as well as any current promotions
- Participate in store-wide profit initiatives
- Offer strategic input or suggestions as to how to increase store profitability
- Demonstrate initiative with routine tasks
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), AND experience in the specialty coffee, retail, hospitality and/or customer service industries
- Ability to maintain a pleasant disposition and sense of urgency with helping customers
- Demonstrate a passion for coffee and tea
- Capability to interface and maintain effective relationships with co-workers and customers
- Logical and methodological approach to problem solving
- Flexible, with the ability to multi-task in a highly demanding, stressful environment
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume
- Ability to cooperate successfully as a member of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, including giving and receiving feedback on the quality of services
- Communicate clearly, honestly and promptly
- Ability to use available resources to answer questions
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Strong cash handling skills
- Ability to read and speak English proficiently.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- At times, may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding and register).
- Retail store environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Intelligentsia Coffee, Inc is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Intelligentsia is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 312-521-7957 or via email at email@example.com
Posting ID: 621061297Posted: 2021-04-26Job Title: Barista