OrthoVirginia, Virginia's largest provider of expert orthopedic and therapy care, is currently seeking a full-time, licensed Advanced Practice Provider (Physician Assistant (PA) or Nurse Practitioner (NP) ) to join our team! Along with a collaborative, team-oriented work environment, our outstanding employment package includes: competitive salaries, excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid time off (PTO), a generous 401k incentive plan, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and a company-wide wellness program.
Extends the services of the Orthopaedic Physicians by providing comprehensive health assessments, determining diagnoses, and plans and prescribes treatments while managing health care regimens in collaboration with the designated physician(s). Provides care to complex, acutely ill patients in the tertiary care setting. This role includes the promotion of the wellness, prevention of complications and management of acute and chronic conditions. Works autonomously as well as in collaboration with a variety of individuals to diagnose and manage patients' health care problems. Serves as a health care resource, interdisciplinary consultant and patient advocate.
Primary Functions & Accountabilities
- Provides skilled direct care to clients and their families at Lynchburg General Hospital. Care is delivered in collaboration with a designated physician(s). A signed collaboration agreement(s) will be maintained.
- Responsible for daily patient rounding, patient/family education, discharge of patients to primary care physician or links patient to primary medical care, facilitates a timely discharge process, available to the Emergency Department for evaluation and treatment of inpatients, available for inpatient procedures in collaboration with other members of the OrthoVirginia team.
- Obtains health histories and performs physical examinations.
- Assists with diagnosis and management of acute and chronic health conditions via evidence-based guidelines.
- Orders, conducts and interprets diagnostic studies and laboratory tests.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including but not limited to suturing, injections-intraarticular, IM, etc., wound care, incision and drainage, splinting, casting, biopsies, etc.
- Prescribes or recommends pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies including controlled medications.
- Consults appropriate physicians(s) for patient care needs as appropriate when care falls outside of the scope of orthopaedic practitioner's practice.
- Refers patients to appropriate sources of care as indicated.
- Works to exceed national benchmarks for quality care delivery, cost containment and length of stay for various disease states.
- Assists patients to maximize their abilities to cope with health and illness.
- Presents and documents patient data.
- Responsible with OrthoVirginia team to help reduce patient length of stay by performing tasks and evaluations in a timely manner, as well as, advocating for the patient regarding system issues in the hospital preventing them from creating barriers that increase patient length of stay, i.e. timely laboratory results, radiology reports, social issues, etc.
- Collaborates with OrthoVirginia and Centra Case Managers to have patient appropriately managed to the best practices for treatment and follow-up by bundle practices.
- Assures the efficient utilization of inpatient resources while supporting clinical pathway implementation and compliance.
- Assures appropriate and timely referrals to a tertiary care facility as indicated by the patient care needs in consultation with the primary care physician.
- Available to surgeons and others for patient evaluation and management within scope of practice.
- Participates in the assurance of robust communication system including telephone communications on the admission/status updates, discharge summaries, etc. in acknowledgement of the inpatient hospitalization as a component of the continuum of care provided by the primary care physician.
- Supports the primary care physician/ patient relationship.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with all physicians and other providers involved in the care of the patient inclusive of the primary care physician.
- Takes responsibility for assuring patient/ family satisfaction with care provided. Provides follow-up calls to the patients that are discharged while under his/ her care as needed to ensure follow through with discharge plan.
- Promotes self-care, health promotion, and disease prevention through the provision of information, counseling and education for individuals, families and groups as indicated.
- Develops and participates in community outreach programs/activities.
- Call responsibilities for weekends at the discretion of the need of OrthoVirginia; to be assigned at either OrthoOnCall or at the hospital based on experience and training.
- Research should be focused on improving patient outcomes and methods to improve care delivery focusing on exceeding national benchmarks.
- Research may include, but is not limited to engaging in independent or collaborative efforts using any or all of the recognized formal research processes including clinical studies.
- Develops patient care policies, procedures, or clinical guidelines and collaborates with Case Managers at OrthoVirginia and Centra.
- Assists in the development and implementation of performance improvements, particularly those related to improving patient outcomes.
- Participates in meetings, committees and projects relevant to the job function as deemed by OrthoVirginia.
- Attends lectures, meetings, and conferences to maintain knowledge of current trends in a particular area of expertise.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/ her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the Orthopaedic unit's policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong customer service skills and excellent communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Ability to assess situations, resolve within scope of ability, or escalate as appropriate.
- Ability to respond effectively to emergencies, actual events or drills.
- Ability to follow instructions with little supervision.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all aspects of role.
- May or may not participate in the "on call" schedule.
- Assists in completing paperwork for patients as indicated.
- Travels between facilities when indicated.
- Completion of accredited Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner program required.
- Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner Virginia license required.
- Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner certification required, if applicable.
- CPR certification required.
- Two to four years' Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner experience preferred.
2 to 4 years