Apr 28, 2021Job Number
Rooms & Guest Services OperationsLocation
Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, 717 South Highway 101, Solana Beach, California, United States VIEW ON MAPBrand
Courtyard by MarriottSchedule
Additional Information: This hotel is owned and operated by an independent franchisee, AZUL Hospitality Group. The franchisee controls all aspects of the hotel’s employment policies and practices, including the selection and hiring process. If you accept a position at this hotel you will be employed by a franchisee and not by Marriott International.
To manage the Hotel Operations by developing and implementing strategies and services which not only meet, but rather exceed the needs of guests, staff members and owners.
- Maximizes hotel revenues through up-sell program, 95% occupancy strategies parking revenues by ensuring proper ticket accountability and cash handling procedures. Maintain standards of guest services and a consistent positive guest experience as documented by J.D. Powers and AAA ratings.
- Observe the front desk and Guest Services areas and ensure that all staff duties are completed in accordance with established policy and procedure, i.e., proper public relations techniques are utilized, guest requests are handled both courteously and professionally, guests are helped on a timely basis and the proper greetings are used, guests are handled correctly and efficiently, guest complaints and problems are handled in a courteous and professional manner, and ensure follow through. GSI, guest comments (via third party sites, comments card etc.) will be used to measure guest satisfaction.
- Direct and train staff. Assist in new-hire and on-going training. Direct and assist front desk staff and telecommunications in organizing breaks, ensuring that all work is completed efficiently and according to schedule.
- Participate in the hiring process of new staff members. Assist with the preparation of Staff Member Transaction Forms, performance appraisals, and any Staff Service forms as appropriate.
- Review current days expected arrivals and check all VIP and special request reservations to ensure that they are pre-registered, blocked properly and other departments are notified of room assignment. Review the daily room availability and inform staff. Check status of departures on a daily basis. Relay all pertinent information to front desk agents, telecommunications, the following shift supervisor, and the Front Desk.
- Ensure proper staffing levels based on hotel demand and all necessary reports and forms are completed daily. Describe, assign and delegate responsibility for tasks as necessary to provide effective, efficient service and financial results.
- Oversee sales and operations areas ensuring service excellence, proper inventories and accurate account of sales and cleanliness standards are met and overall appearance.
- Be familiar with all company policies and benefits so that he/she can intelligently answer questions of staff members he/she supervises and to obtain answers from Azul Corporate Office for any question about policies or benefits he/she cannot answer.
- Isolate and analyze areas in need of improvement and encourage a climate of problem solving and action.
- Implement rooms merchandising procedures and foster salesmanship to meet or exceed average rate goals of the hotel as well as total rooms revenue.
- Ensure that all systems and control procedures are in place to comply with corporate policy and procedures, and minimum levels of bad checks, bad debts, allowances and rebates.
- Ensure all payroll costs and other expenses are properly monitored and controlled in accordance with budgets and monthly forecasts.
- Encourage and maintain open and clear communication, rapport and cooperation with all internal departments to foster the best possible service to all guests and staff members.
- Identify ways of improving the effectiveness of service to guests through Expressions of Excellence.
- Resolve difficult or unusual problems arising with guests. Instill in staff members the commitment to exceed guest expectations.
- Monitor and provide timely feedback, counseling, and performance evaluations to staff.
- Apprise the General Manager of all personnel issues that may affect discipline or retention.
- Mobilize supervisory staff to best accomplish objectives of the day.
- Participate in local area hotel association.
- Personally follows up on all public reviews and social media channels.
- Compose and achieve annual objectives.
- Attend hotel operational meetings, rooms departmental meetings, and staff member related events. Hold interdepartmental daily stand up meetings and obtain staff member sign off.
- Recommend to the General Manager changes or innovations to practice, procedure and operation with potential favorable effect on service and quality assurance.
- Ensure quality assurance in public space and guest rooms.
- Complete monthly and quarterly inventories for all departments to ensure loss is minimal.
- Monitor all supplies inventories to ensure staff has the tools to do their jobs and provide the best possible service for our guests.
- Schedule in accordance with budgeted productivity and labor guidelines.
- Respect hotel property and work areas by keeping them clean, well maintained, stocked, and properly stored. Eliminate waste of supplies.
- Practice safe work habits and ensure safe work practices to avoid injury to self and others.
- Ensure all loss prevention protocols are followed as well as departmental and company procedures.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Assist with any guest inquiry.
- Enforce hotel safety standards.
- Any other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Exempt Staff Members are not covered by the overtime provisions and do not receive overtime pay. Exempt Staff members are paid a fixed salary that is intended to cover all of the compensation to which they are entitled.
All Staff Members must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Azul Hospitality standards. Refer to the property specific required grooming and uniform standards policy.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Azul Hospitality, from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Staff with irregular attendance / tardiness will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Upon employment, all staff is required to fully comply with Azul Hospitality rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotels facilities. Staff members who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, staff members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required. This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a staff member in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Considerable knowledge of complex mathematical calculations and computer accounting programs. Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Extensive knowledge of the hotel, its services and facilities.
- Must have excellent leadership capability and customer relations skills. Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the staff member acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
- Must be detail oriented with outstanding organizational and communication skills.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
- High School Completion
- Bachelor Degree and/or equivalent level of education preferred
- Operations experience required.
- Three to Five years Management Experience required.
- Knowledgeable of loyalty programs, brand standards and hospitality industry systems preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Ability to provide and maintain a valid drivers license as the position may require the operation of motorized and electric vehicles.
This company is an equal opportunity employer.