Director Emerging Technologies Business Development - SAL021731
With the introduction and confluence of cellular Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) networks, 5G uRLLC/eMBB/Massive IoT, eSIM, Edge Compute and private wireless networks, UScellular is poised for growth, and seeks a Director, Emerging Technologies Business Development that is both a strategic powerhouse and a technology expert (this position is a business development role with a technical background).
The Director of Emerging Technologies Business Development will be accountable for increasing monetization of UScellular's investments in network PLTE and 5G technologies across the business sales channels, to help UScellular win more business, and grow revenue and margin. The Director will play an important role in a matrixed environment, engaging with our business channel and technical leaders (often with director and officer-level leadership) to identify opportunities, lead research, and deliver presentations on 5G, IoT and other technologies, products, and services at an executive level. The Director will design business cases and use cases to be tested, turning the use cases into revenue generating opportunities and program managing the delivery of large-scale initiatives. The Director will have responsibility for driving revenue and closing large opportunities with clients. They will need to work closely with internal and external partners, to understand technical offerings and capabilities and incorporate viable solutions into our consideration set and trials.
- Within the technology ecosystem, strategically identify, research and evaluate the applicability of emerging/ cutting-edge technologies and potential partners, and pitch new initiatives, partnerships and other business development opportunities to executives; leverage UScellular comparative advantages in the business and use cases.
- Develop and manage a pipeline of emerging technology revenue opportunities.
- Manage a team in the pursuit and close of emerging revenue deals.
- Serve as a trusted subject matter expert (SME) to key clients in leading and managing strategic and often technical programs and initiatives to desired results and outcomes.
- Serve as a matrixed leader for the business channel and IoT business sales team to deliver technical knowledge and market sensing to the company.
- Collaborate with internal teams (such as network/IT/product/sales), infrastructure and other technology providers to develop use cases and prototypes as appropriate.
- Analyze different options, make recommendations, and provide executive summary data and insights to substantiate the reasoning behind the selection.
- Collaborate with executive and Director leadership in engineering, marketing, sales to inform, educate and stakeholder the advancement of initiatives and partnerships.
- Participate actively in mobility, cellular IoT, LPWA, 5G industry forums (GSMA, CCA, etc.) as a UScellular leader and industry expert.
- Assess competitive landscape and market positioning, analyze competitive strategies, and develop solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders and program sponsors to develop goals/objectives/benchmarks related to performance, cost, timeline, feasibility, and facilitate cross-functional decision making.
- Work closely with technical leads and innovation experts to ensure seamless implementation of key solutions and capabilities that will achieve monetization efforts of technical solutions.
- Steer and influence discussions with senior leadership and channel clients in adoption of new and innovative solutions.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 12+ years' experience in the cellular or IoT industry, both as an individual contributor and as a leader of teams and large projects.
- Advanced technical knowledge and market sensing of LPWA (LTE-M / NB-IoT) networks, 5G NSA & SA networks, eSIM remote sim provisioning, Edge and private networks.
- In-depth understanding of enterprise verticals in utilities, fleet/asset tracking, smart agriculture, Industry 4.0, smart white goods and smarter homes.
- Experienced leader in areas of mobility, cellular IoT, LPWA, or 5G (GSMA, CCA, etc.).
- Success working collaboratively with cross-functional business units including Product, Sales, Engineering, IS, Finance, Legal, and others.
- Experience managing technology suppliers, working with multinational companies, and with the entrepreneurial community through incubators, VCs, etc.
- Strong analytical, business modeling and financial acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex technical concepts and ideas and use them to create accurate and engaging presentations for various audience types.
- Experience creating and delivering executive level presentations to internal and external executives, including business cases, use cases, white papers and more.
- In-depth knowledge of the current ecosystem and technology trends and a passion for continuous learning to proactively stay abreast of new information and trends.
- Must be able to travel as needed to attend training, conferences, and related business activities.
- Demonstrated leadership positions within industry forums (such as GSMA, CCA, etc.)
: Sales Business Solutions Location(s)
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.