Location: Boston, MA
We are seeking a computational biologist with experience and expertise in driving forward biological discoveries and therapeutic development to join Vertex. This position is part of a growing Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies team, in partnership with Data and Computational Sciences, to be focused on developing next-generation treatments for serious human diseases. Your key tasks will be to collaborate with cross-functional project teams to design studies, analyze and interpret large-scale genomics data, and communicate results that will have critical impact on the development of cutting-edge, transformative therapies. You will play a key role in bringing together the needs of project teams with state-of-the-art bioinformatics tools, which will require close communication and collaboration with both computational and experimental team members.
- Collaborate with project teams, acting as the computational biology expert, to identify key needs and questions that can be addressed using genomics, sequencing, or bioinformatics contributions
- Plan studies leveraging sequencing, genetic, and genomic data to answer biological questions and enable development of genetic therapy treatments
- Plan, execute, and iterate on analysis of large-scale sequencing data, in partnership with computational and experimental team members
- Visualize, summarize, and communicate findings to project teams and other key stakeholders
- Follow cutting-edge advancements in the fast-paced fields of gene editing and genetic therapies, bringing developments in-house or building upon them as appropriate
- Partner with method development team members to improve or expand computational methods
- PhD degree in computational biology, bioinformatics, human genetics, genomics, systems biology, bioengineering, or a related field
- A proven track record in the analysis, visualization, and interpretation of genomic and next-generation sequencing (NGS) data
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with project teams and/or experimental collaborators to design studies and develop analyses to answer scientific questions
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated approach to problem solving with excellent reasoning skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, including the ability to tailor scientific content to audiences with different backgrounds
- A team-oriented growth mindset that welcomes feedback from others and supports other team members; strong collaboration skills to work across teams and functions
- A positive attitude that enthusiastically tackles and overcomes challenges
- Strong organizational and time-management skills to prioritize needs and get things done
- Solid scientific understanding of gene editing and the role of genetic variation in human disease
- Expertise with applying computational methods and bioinformatics tools to large-scale data; proficiency with R, Python, Linux/Unix systems, high-performance computing systems; solid understanding of statistics
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at (see application details).