Local truck drivers transport goods over short distances using various tractor-trailer combinations between company terminals and customer facilities within a designated geographic service area.
- High School or GED equivalent
- CDL A Certified
- Knowledge of FMCSA rules and regulation
Experience (years and topics):
- At least 2 years viable driving experience with CDL type A
- Ability to operate any type of configuration of equipment assigned: owned, leased, rented, single, tandem axle tractors or straight trucks of either conventional or cab over design or yard tractors by various manufacturers and as equipped
- Accurate and efficient determination of service hours, compute time and mileage, and maintain electronic logs.
- Interpersonal: co-workers, management, public, customers
- Listening skills: take work direction in verbal and written formats
- Time keeping: schedules, reports, documents
Strength (lifting, dexterity, repetitive motion):
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to have strength, motion, and range to open and close swing type and roll up type trailer doors as needed in the pickup and delivery of freight.
Movement (standing, stopping, sitting, crouching, crawling):
- Must be able to enter and exit various types of equipment safely and efficiently.
Hearing (loud noise tolerance, quiet work area, public speaking, receive work direction):
Vision (judge distance, read signs, extended computer work, identify details):
- Understand visual cues such as road signs, traffic signs, signals, manuals
Technology (own): Smart Phone Required
An individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
All duties as assigned and the following specific activities. (enlarge space as needed)
- Provide transportation services as needed by assigned customer
- Inspect, maintain, and report all issues related to assigned tractor
- Inspect, maintain, and report all issues related to assigned trailer(s)
- Report all work completed and hours/miles via daily reporting sheets/logs
- Performs all duties in accordance with Company policies and procedures, and complies with all federal, state, and local regulations for the secure and safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). Accepts assigned loads through a system of “first-in, first-out. An offered load cannot be refused.
- Deliver goods while operating a tractor-trailer truck.
- Carries out all security procedures to include not stopping within the first 200 miles of departing any pick-up location and not ever leaving a load unattended. Carries out instructions given orally and in writing, including those on manifest, bills of lading and other shipping documents to determine the location and time of delivery.
- Load and unload cargo as determined by load-run, client agreement, dispatch, or management.
- Record amount and type of cargo being delivered.
- Take orders for new delivers.
- Drive short distances.
- Fill up on fuel, clean truck, and wash windows.
- Report incidents encountered during shift to appropriate dispatch or management.
- Monitor road conditions and watch for traffic congestion.
- Follow all applicable traffic laws.
- Inspects truck/trailer before and after the trip, and record any defects found.
- Follow accident procedures if an accident occurs.
- Keep a log of work activities.
- Report mechanical problems to appropriate dispatch or management.
- Keep truck, and associated equipment, clean and in good working order.
- Plan routes using maps or satellite tracking.
- Delivers cargo to client on time.
- Adheres to appropriate rest periods during trip.
- Maintain log of trips.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
On-going outcome that is measurable (minimum of 3)
- Cost per load (measured weekly)
- Hours of service accuracy
- Revenue Generated(measured weekly/monthly)
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law