Utah Office - Washington, UT
4 Year Degree
From Sactionals - The World's Most Adaptable Couch(c), to Sacs - The World's Most Comfortable Seat(c), Lovesac products provide peace of mind where others can't. Our products can adapt to fit almost any space and style and look like new forever. This enables a new way of living, where people can continue to invest in, add to, and evolve their furniture instead of adding it to the landfill-which is good for families and our environment.
We're committed to working and succeeding by incorporating our Guiding Principles into everything we do:
We can all win together
Doing less and doing better
We're borrowing this earth from our children
The couch is the kitchen table
Currently, we are seeking to hire a Director of Engineering. As a Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading our engineering team to deliver innovative products to market that support our key product platforms, and also lead product improvements and innovate inside our current and future manufacturing processes. You must be passionate about building teams, solving problems, creating IP and establishing a culture of R&D and innovation that will help lay the foundation of our brands future. As the Director of Engineering, you will collaborate with internal and external partners within our organization to help shape the vision, roadmap and execution for our products including the Founder and CEO, the Marketing Team, and the Supply Chain Team. You will contribute significantly and help lead strategy, planning, target-setting, operational and organizational effectiveness.
This position will report into our Corporate Headquarters based in Saint George, Utah and will require flexibility to work both onsite as well as remote.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible to meet or exceed all goals and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Develop team members by setting goals and KPIs with individuals.
- Ensures all engineering projects, initiatives and processes are in alignment with organization's established policies and objectives.
- Oversee the Engineering Team during design and development of Lovesac products and furniture that support our Sactionals platform and new product platforms using inputs including but not limited to wood, plastic, metal, composites, electronics, lighting, fabric, etc.
- Proficient in implementation of best practices for engineering methodologies and software platforms, leading the design process for engineering projects, Review 3D models, drawings and renderings to help facilitate injection molding, manufacturing, sourcing and quality control.
- Incorporate components, materials and tools that result in cost-effective and quality output.
- Management of Engineering Budgets and Cost Tracking.
- Communicate technical concepts, challenges, solutions to non-technical stakeholders clearly and concisely.
- Proficient in managing workflow of employees and timelines.
- Collaboration with Senior Leadership, business stakeholders and product management to ensure engineering teams deliver on business needs and in a consistent and predictable way.
- Establish and maintain well-defined document controls for transition between design revisions.
- Develop, organize and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering department.
- Lead the design process for engineering projects, Review 3D models, drawings and renderings to help facilitate injection molding, manufacturing, sourcing and quality control.
- Lead the engineering team through Brainstorming, Conceptualization, Prototyping, and research of designs using various methods and materials.
- Leverage knowledge and experience in design processes, CAD, materials, engineering, manufacturing, and industrial design to lead a core team of Engineers.
- Provide guidance to outside partners.
- Create, implement and analyze product test plans.
- Invent, design and develop new categories while supporting incremental innovation on existing product.
- Work collaboratively with marketing team to create products that meet or exceed the conditions of research informed product briefs.
- Manage communication with 3rd party factory project managers, technicians and engineers through the sampling and production phases to ensure timelines stay on track for launch.
- Manage and maintain the organization of design files, conduct basic cost-analysis and coordinate with cross-functional team to ensure projects meet budgets.
- Collaborate with vendors, contact factories and suppliers both overseas and domestically in sampling, designing, and execution of new product launches
- Plan product budgets and timelines in line with the Company operating goals.
- Perform Coaching and Quarterly reviews with Engineers to help develop and build a highly functioning team that can innovate and execute on all priorities.
- Support and roll out a PLM that can be used to refine our Product Lifecycle Management, Collaboration Tools and Project Files.
- Drive continuous improvement.
- Maintain a calm demeanor and manage issues professionally and respectfully in accordance with our company standards.
- Act with integrity and trust, modeling behavior that respects our employees, peers and customers in accordance with the core values of our company.
- Perform any other duties as requested by management.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Must have a minimum of 10+ years of Engineering experience at Product and or Technology-led organizations.
- 5+ years managing and leading teams. We'll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, and how you made your work environment inclusive and successful.
- Experience managing Engineering Managers.
- Experience working with PLM systems.
- Extensive Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, Knowledge of Materials, Rapid Visualization, Contextual Research.
- Testing and Analysis: Able to define test outcomes; create test plans, purchase test equipment, setup and execute, and analyze test data.
- Great verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Ability to attract talent and develop high performing teams. Proven recruiting experience as a hiring manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering required/preferred.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment a plus.
- Professional Engineering Certification a plus.
- Project Management Certification a plus.
- Master of Science in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering discipline a plus.
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing concepts a plus.
- Demonstrated success in driving continuous improvement in an organization.
- Consistent ability to work both remotely and report into Corporate Headquarters or designated showroom, as required and in accordance with Lovesac policies, CDC and State Guidelines.
- Must be results driven and utilize knowledge to meet or exceed KPIs and goals.
- Must have proven time management skills and quickly adapts to a changing business environment.
- Able to prioritize responsibilities with the appropriate level of urgency, able to listen and can use this information to solve problems, anticipate issues and make correct decisions based on a variety of situations.
- Must take accountability and responsibility for your actions.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines consistently.
- Must have superior communication skills; verbal, written and interpersonal skills; able to listen effectively to solve problems, anticipate issues and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Maintains the highest level of customer service, creating solutions and experiences that drive business results and engagement with the brand.
- Must work collaboratively with fellow employees, treating all clients, both internal and external with dignity and respect at all times.
- Proficiency required in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Must have solid experience with Solidworks: Modeling, Assemblies, Drawings, Tolerancing, Injection Mold Part Design, FEA and other Simulation, Rendering, Evaluation Tools, Sheet Metal etc.
- Must comply with the standards, policies and procedures outlined in the Lovesac Employee Handbook.
- Must be capable of using and operating all equipment as required, including but not limited to: iPad, laptop, etc. Be able to move objects (including medium to large furniture items up to 75 pounds) from a lower to a higher position or horizontally from position-to-position or be able to assemble furniture while working on the selling floor or in our warehouse.
- Must be able to travel, as required by the Company in its sole discretion, for occasional meetings and conferences using various forms of transportation.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and exemplify The Lovesac Values:
Lovesac Core Values
Willing to sweep the floors
Only "A" Players
Lovesac is an Equal Opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.