NYU Winthrop is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Physician Assistant - PD Medicine.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for using his/her clinical expertise to plan the delivery of safe, therapeutic, population-specific patient care through assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. With the patient and family central to the care, incorporates the unique characteristics and needs of each patient and family member into the plan of care. Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary health team to promote wellness and optimize patient outcomes.
- Educates patient and family to facilitate and promote healthy adjustment to new or changed health patterns.
- Evaluates treatment and healthcare plans for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Performs delegated clinical duties effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations of the Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
- Prescribes medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services per practice protocol.
- Prescribes in-patient and discharges medications according to New York State law, including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
- Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities. Membership in professional specialty organizations desirable.
- Previously demonstrated ability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively and collaboratively as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, creative problem solving and excellent critical thinking skills.
- Coordinates implementation of clinical research studies or clinical trials, including patient screening, enrollment and data collection.
- Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency and performance indicators established for the service.
- Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
- Works collaboratively with nursing and other disciplines in the development and implementation of clinical studies within the area of expertise.
- Uses evidence-based healthcare literature to advise and supports appropriate practice changes within the designated service.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols for purposes of quality and performance improvement.
- Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
- Maintains PA board certification.
- Maintains annual CME requirement for re-appointment and privileging.
- Maintains current expertise in area of practice.
- Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical role.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional physician assistant practice standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization's Core Values and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Facilitates patients throughput and efficient process during patient's admission and discharge.
- Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MD's etc.
- Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patient's care in the hospital setting.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, house staff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
- Participates in the development and revision of the interdisciplinary and hospital standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
- Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including the attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensure communication with family members.
- Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department and clinical service.
To qualify, you must have a Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program
Current NYS Physicians Assistant License
Current NYS National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants Certificate (NCCPA)
At least 2 years of clinical rotation in various medical, surgical, and other specialty areas.
Excellent communication skills (both oral & written), interpersonal and organization skills.
Basic Computer Skills.
Previous experience as a physician assistant or physician fellow experience is preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Winthrop provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Winthrop is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Winthrop's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.