Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate and growing team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of connecting the world to delicious coffee. We roast on four coasts, make delicious drinks, clean up after ourselves, bake cookies, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We’re an impossibly eclectic group of coffee experts, artists, writers, sensory scientists, bakers, designers, and all-around dreamers, who also happen to be some of the most hard-working and talented in the business. Join us.
About the job
A Blue Bottle Barista consistently delivers great hospitality and coffee experiences.
At Blue Bottle Coffee, a Barista is someone who is passionate about coffee, culinary items, sustainability, and creating incredible guest experiences grounded in care and respect. Don’t have prior coffee, food or service experience? Don’t sweat it; though that helps, we’re more interested in who you are and what you care about. The whole “what” and “how” thing comes later—and with plenty of training and practice. We invite you to grow as a team member and create community through coffee with us.
- Searching for a career in food and beverage with a dynamic, growing company
- Passionate about coffee, food, and creating inclusive hospitality experiences
- Reliable and consistent—your leader and teammates can always depend on you to be punctual and bring your A game
- Thoughtful and able to anticipate our guests’ needs
- Obsessed with the details! You love honing your craft and understand the nourishing powers in each cup of coffee and each plate of delicious food
- Excited about taking on new experiences and possess a can-do attitude
- Eligible to work in the United States and 18 years of age or older
- Deliver exceptional hospitality to our guests, your fellow teammates, and all of our vendors and suppliers
- Make and serve a selection of delicious beverages with a variety of different brewing and preparation methods
- Prepare and serve delicious food
- Stay knowledgeable about Blue Bottle’s current beverage and food offerings and preparation techniques; continuously cultivating your own curiosity and knowledge through in-house tastings, cuppings, and trainings
- Taste our Blue Bottle beverages regularly to ensure quality, uphold our standards, and develop your palate
- Create community in our cafes by sharing your joy and knowledge of coffee with our guests; inspire your fellow teammates to do the same
- Support your team by taking joy in the tasks that keep the cafe running smoothly and beautifully—these tasks may vary but can include cleaning, clearing and washing dishes, sweeping, dusting, mopping, cleaning and organizing condiment stations, and taking out trash
- Be passionate about the planet and help us achieve our company-wide sustainability goals
- Uphold and follow all health, food safety, and safety guidelines
- Promote a safe and respectful working environment
- Completed Blue Bottle’s Barista Essentials training and validation program within 90 days post-hire
- Existing Food Handler’s Certification required for the state you will be working in or will obtain it within 30 days post-hire
- Basic math and computer skills
- A flexible schedule and are available to work mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Our barista position is a dynamic one! Below we’ve mapped out the physical demands that are essential to the role:
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. You’re on your feet the majority of the day, whether you are standing behind bar pulling shots or walking the cafe floor
- Use of hands to reach, grip, turn and perform precision work. You’re using your hands to operate beautiful espresso machines, pour delicious pour overs, and operate the register (among other responsibilities)
- As needed squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders. For example, you may have to bend down or reach up to grab cups, lids and towels
- Ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds. For example, you’ll be handling bags of coffee beans, coffee kegs, crates of milk, tub of dishes and trash bins
- As needed climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces. For example, climb on a step stool to change menu slacks, go up and down stairs and ramps to storage areas
- Ability to smell and taste. You’re tasting and smelling coffee and food, helping ensure quality control for each cup and plate
- Ability to listen and speak. You’re listening and speaking with our guests to guide and create experiences
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.