This position is responsible for supporting research, development, technical, manufacturing, quality, and commercial activities within cleaner and rust preventative industry. Under general guidance, execute development assignments, determinations and tests under the supervision of the manager/supervisor or in assistance to a more senior level Chemist.
- Develop and support the steel and metalworking cleaner and rust preventative products used in a variety of manufacturing and mechanical systems in order to enhance processes, safety and quality in order to meet customer needs and provide solutions to application problems of moderate complexity.
- Investigate applicability of new and alternative raw materials in order to enhance performance and minimize cost and give proposals to the manager. Implement alternative raw materials in existing products.
- Design, develop, and implement specified tests and determinations, in order to answer questions and address problems of customers. Develop and perform customer requested product analysis and testing.
- Select and execute analytical tests in order to determine quantitative and qualitative composition of raw materials, formulations, competitive products and other chemical (field) samples.
- Determine performance characteristics of competitive products using physical, instrumental and wet analysis techniques.
- Clearly and orderly record all observations and data. Report results in a clear and concise manner to enhance technical exchange. Provide legal and archival documentation for patent applications.
- Develop, improve and execute test methods to enhance R&R, efficiency and field performance predictability.
- Provide technical service and knowledge to customers and sales associates based upon the chemists current level of expertise. Visit customers when required to assist the Commercial team.
- Provide assistance to manufacturing in order to improve the quality and efficiency of the manufacturing process. Assist manufacturing and the quality assurance lab in solving quality and production problems.
- Train and guide more junior level chemists, lab technicians and trainees in executing routine analysis at the Development Laboratory.
- Maintain equipment glassware and workspace in order to keep them clean and well-functioning. Properly dispose of all laboratory waste. Participate in ensuring good management of laboratory equipment and storage spaces for chemicals and raw materials. Comply with housekeeping rules.
- Ensure that all equipment and machines in your area of control are managed with regards to safety, maintenance, calibration, and availability.
- Perform project work in cooperation with a variety of internal and external contacts.
Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality responsibilities:
Comply with the applicable regulations and standards regarding quality, safety, environmental as well as the occupational health standards in order to minimize risks in these areas and to create opportunities and chances for improvement.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work in a laboratory and administrative office setting, w/ some travel as required.
- Ensure a safety mindset throughout designated area of responsibility.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The associate must be able to safely work in a variety of potentially hazardous situations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to carefully, and precisely manipulate samples, apparatus, and sensitive instruments. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, or no more than local or country regulations allow. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Education, Experience, Skills & Competencies:
- This position requires at least a Masters degree in a scientific discipline, preferably Chemistry.
- 3+ years related chemistry experience is desired. Equivalent combination of education (minimum bachelors degree) and experience will be considered.
- A good command of the English language is mandatory. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Internet software and Database software.
- There are no managerial responsibilities for this position but may occasionally train and guide more junior level chemists and trainees in executing routine analysis at the Development Laboratory.
- Good communication skills and interest and ability in working at a team and cooperates well at various levels in the organization.
- Possesses these qualities: analytical skills, service oriented, takes initiative, is well organized and flexible.