Are you a committed problem solver, with enthusiasm for Subsea Systems for US Navy Applications?Do you have a passion for full life cycle systems engineering, test and evaluation, technical oversight, and technology evaluation?Do you consider yourself to be a team player who embraces challenges, adapts to dynamic changing environments, and continually looks to advance your technical skills?If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team!The Engineering and Test Group at APL is seeking a Maritime Systems Engineer to help us provide technology evaluations, system integration, concept development, test and evaluation, and broad systems engineering expertise in a trusted agent role for Navy manned and unmanned undersea systems. As a member of our team, you will contribute to APL's legacy of scientific research and development and trusted service to the nation. Come join our multi-disciplinary team of engineers working on our main campus in Laurel, MD.
As a Maritime Systems Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to apply subsea domain expertise to systems engineering lifecycle tasks such CONOP, Design Reference Mission, Requirements Development, Prototype development, and Test and Evaluation. Topics include but are not limited to: underwater navigation, acoustic and non-acoustic sensor systems, submarine payloads, unmanned vehicles and payloads, communications systems, networking, launch and recovery support, and integration of COTS components into fleet systems.
- You will apply systems engineering to work with APL colleagues, DoD partners, and vendors in developing, documenting, implementing, testing, and maintaining systems for Science and Technology (S&T) demonstration and rapid-prototype efforts as well as for both fast to fleet and traditional acquisition programs of record.
- You will perform a variety of engineering tasks including:
- White paper development, technology surveys, and drafting of technical findings and recommendations;
- Apply systems engineering knowledge and skills to develop systems engineering processes and system engineering artifacts such as specifications, use cases, system architecture, and trade studies;
- Author and review technical analyses, designs, test plans, and systems engineering artifacts for engineering and programmatic milestones and technical reviews.
- You will work with multiple DoD system partners to evaluate current strategies, risks, and opportunities to allow for the development and implementation of test and evaluation strategies to refine / improve their programs and missions.
- You will support government agency meetings at the Washington Navy Yard and/or Pentagon. Some meetings will be able to be supported via telecom or VTC.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS degree in an engineering discipline (mechanical engineering, ocean engineering, electrical engineering), or other related degree, with 8+ years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years with undersea systems.
- Possess excellent technical writing and presentation skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders including engineers, scientists, contractors, and sponsors as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Are willing to travel for meetings at government agency facilities within 30 miles of JHU APL. Additional regional or out of state travel may be required for partner meetings, conferences and platform integrations and testing. Up to 15% travel may be required.
- Have the ability to obtain an Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimately obtain a final TS/SCI level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an MS degree in an engineering discipline (systems engineering, ocean engineering, mechanical engineering), or a related degree with 7+ years of demonstrated experience with undersea systems.
- Possess operational experience with manned and/or unmanned underwater platforms, including underwater navigation and sonar experience .
- Have experience working with various U.S. Navy organizations.
- Have experience with DOD Acquisition or S&T programs.
- Hold an active TS/SCI level security clearance.Why work at APL
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.