Smith Ready Mix, Inc. Diesel Mechanic – New Carlisle, IN:
Since 1949 Smith Ready Mix, Inc. has been a leading producer of ready mix concrete in Northern Indiana and is dedicated to the highest quality and service in the industry. We have immediate openings for mechanics at our New Carlisle, IN location.
All jobs are union jobs with competitive wages and benefits.
To be successful in this role, you'll need experience in a similar role and similar industry; Heavy Diesel Mechanic, Mixer Truck Mechanic Functional Responsibilities: Perform maintenance and repair of various types of mobile equipment in company shops or on public roadways as necessary. Maximize equipment availability through the use of efficient and proactive preventative maintenance programs.
- Diagnose electrical problems and perform mechanical repairs and maintenance to various types of equipment including but not limited to: tires, ready mix concrete trucks and heavy construction equipment Operate and inspect equipment to diagnose defects
- Perform routine preventative maintenance such as lubricating, oil changes, and failure analysis
- Perform routine brake inspections/ adjustments on commercial vehicles following Federal DOT requirements.
- Troubleshoots and repairs hydraulic systems, electronics, and other components of a concrete mixer truck.
- Removes components for repair or replacement such as, but not limited to: injectors, starters, water pumps, radiators, brakes, etc.,
- Create work orders on repairs and services providing legible and accurate information for work performed
- Coordinate with location supervisor and review pre-trip truck inspections to prioritize work accordingly
- Communicate with drivers and plant managers to ensure adherence to preventative vehicle maintenance policies and practices
- Use a wide variety of hand and power tools, cutting torches and welding equipment
- Operate fixed and mobile equipment as necessary
- May assist in the maintenance and repair of fixed equipment
- Adhere to all Smith and OSHA rules and regulations at all times and wear proper safety equipment while on plant grounds
- Meet or exceed company safety standards
- Perform other job responsibilities as assigned by management
- Mechanical Experience
- Must have own tools up to 1 inch
- Be able to read, write, and speak English
- High School diploma, preferred
- Must have clean driving record. CDL is preferred but not required.
Working conditions and Physical Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, in order to communicate to employees/visitors as well as function safely around heavy rolling equipment
- Continuous exposure to extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme noise, and working outdoors
- Must wear protective equipment while at the location
- Requires walking, sitting, lifting, pushing, pulling, and climbing to a significant degree
- Heavy work-exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds or force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Must be able to perform all job functions which include, but may not be limited to, pushing, turning, and/or pulling of controls
Smith Ready Mix, Inc. maintains a tobacco free workplace with a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees.