Plant Maintenance Technician
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Plant Maintenance Technician is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the operation of all plant systems and equipment. Including but not limited to balers, conveyor belts, gearboxes, electrical motors, pulleys, shafts and bearings. This position must respond to all system failures by taking appropriate corrective action by completing or assigning the repairs needed to ensure that systems are operational and are functioning safely and efficiently. This position generally reports to the Plant Maintenance Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Performs repairs in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules and OSHA. (Occupational and Safety Health Act) requirements.
- Performs preventive maintenance inspection (PM); diagnose, repair, and rebuild major equipment/components including but not limited to balers, conveyors, hydraulic power packs, eddy currents, electro-magnetic belts, optical sorters, diverters, compressors, trash compactors, motors, glass breakers, wire tie systems, fans, pumps, forklifts, front-end loaders and building equipment.
- Maintains DEI (Daily Equipment Inspections) backlog.
- Establishes and adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules and advises Sr. Plant Maintenance Manager if additional work is needed, or cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
- Inspects the quality of third party repairs and or rebuilds.
- Recommends measures to improve production, equipment performance and product quality
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities.
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Ability to perform under limited supervision.
- Requires a flexible work schedule, which may include nights and weekends to support operating schedule and the needs of the facility.
- Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate/OSHA Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Not required
- Experience: 2 year(s) of relevant work
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen and physical.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Proficient in welding and fabrication.
- Have knowledge of single and three phase electrical systems.
- Have knowledge of electrical control systems.
- Have knowledge of hydraulic systems.
- Have knowledge of pneumatic systems, including air compressors.
- Safely operates tools and equipment needed during the repair and servicing of equipment.
- Diagnose defects and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles.
- Technicians are required to provide their own basic tools to perform routine maintenance and repairs of equipment.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arms, hands, fingers, and legs.
- Required to engage in physical activity that includes pushing, pulling, bending and lifting objects more than __ pounds.
- Required to work from ladders or raised platforms.
- Required to stand or work on concrete floors most of the work day.
- Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
- Normal setting for this job is material recycle facilities, repair/maintenance facility, outdoors or other facilities.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”