St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
The Customer Service Advocate is responsible for handling incoming telephone calls, e-mail, and written correspondence to the Single Business Office (SBO) regarding billing questions and/or concerns for hospital and physician billing self-pay balances. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
- Answers SBO telephone lines in a timely fashion, and provides callers with a pleasant, courteous and professional reception.
- Informs and educates patients regarding issues identified at the time of reimbursement assessment.
- Performs research or follow-up to address issues, and if necessary, responds back to the caller at a later time. Research may typically require obtaining information from multiple departments.
- Leverages knowledge of vendor and technology systems that promote the patient experience to resolve customer concerns more efficiently.
- Updates and/or corrects patient information in the SBO system and/or communicates to appropriate staff members and departments.
- Gives extended customer service by coordinating with other departments to resolve issues beyond the scope of the routine questions and/or issues.
- Maintains excellent understanding of patient accounting billing for hospital and physician services, third party payment methodologies and resulting of out-of-pocket balances to ensure patient concerns or questions are fully answered.
- Maintains thorough understanding of hospital and physician discount and financial assistance policies (both internal and external) to address patient's inability to pay outstanding balances.
- Follows through on commitments and achieves desired results.
- Exhibits sound judgment, obtains the facts, examines options, gains support, and achieves positive outcomes.
- Actively participates in the training and development of new team members, including direct side-by-side training.
- Maintains all documentation and records in accordance with federal and state regulations.
Sitting for up to 8 hours per day, 3 hours at a time. Continuously fingering and handling for data entry, typing, etc., and occasional twisting and turning. Uses upper extremities for occasional lifting and carrying of up to 15 lbs of files. Frequently stoops, bends, or reaches above shoulder level to retrieve files. Hearing as it relates to normal conversation and telephones. Seeing as it relates to general vision. Visual monotony when reading reports and reviewing computer screens. EDUCATION:
High School diploma or equivalent. Must be able to speak, read and write English. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of one (1) year experience with third party billing in a physician's office/hospital is preferred. Direct experience is required in:
- Other office equipment
- Clerical experience
Demonstrates excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and Verbal. Applicant must display the following skills/traits:
Please complete your application using your full legal name andcurrent home address. Be sure toincludeemployment history forthe past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you areencouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications andlicenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
- Diplomacy, tact, a positive approach and the willingness to evaluate several sides of an issue
- Organizational skills and confidentiality are a must
- Works well with minimal supervision
- Problem solves
- Analytical ability
- Highly motivated
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.