St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
The Endoscopy Technician performs a variety of duties related to the care of patients, care and maintenance of GI Flexible Endoscopes and Accessories, and provides technical support to the nursing staff and physicians of the Endoscopy Unit. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
- Performs care and maintenance of GI Endoscopes.
- Performs set up and breakdown of procedures in GI procedure rooms according to procedural and/or physician requirements.
- Provides intra-procedure assistance to nurses and physicians performing routine, advanced and emergent procedures in the GI Lab but also OR, critical care units, and emergency care unit.
- Assists with transport of patients between pre/post procedure area, procedure rooms and patient care areas.
- Clean, disinfect or calibrate scopes and other endoscopic instruments according to manufacturer recommendations and facility standards.
- Maintain working inventories of endoscopic equipment and supplies.
- Anticipate physician needs to ensure excellent patient care and safety throughout the endoscopic procedure.
- Provide the patient with physical and emotional support throughout their encounter.
- Troubleshoot issues pertaining to endoscopes as well as all instruments used during the procedure.
- Assists with ordering and restocking of supplies.
- Assist with scheduling patients as well as inputting information in the GI database. Control flow of daily schedule by communicating with office staff, surgery coordinators and physicians for same day patients and accuracy of next day's patients.
- Assists in the observation area: document vitals, retrieve clothes, contact the family member person providing transportation home.
- Performs pre-op phone calls to patients with specific instructions regarding procedure, based on department guidelines.
- Performs post-op calls to patients in accordance with Studer guidelines.
Sits up to 2 hours per day; 1 hour at a time. Stands for up to 8 hours per day; 4 hours at a time. Walk 6 hours per day; 10 minutes at a time. Consistantly lift, push and carry objects up to 75 lbs. Transport patients weighing up to 500 lbs. via wheelchair, bed, and/ or stretcher with assistance when appropriate. Consistently pull up to 10lbs. Frequently pull up to 250lbs. with assistance when appropriate. Frequently stoop, bend, crouch, kneel and climb. Frequently reach above shoulder level. Occasional crawling. Must be able to perceive attributes of an object through touch. Frequently finger and handle objects. Occasionally firmly grasp, twist, and turn objects with hands and fingers. Must be able to hear as it relates to normal conversation; high and low frequencies. Must be able to see as it relates to general, near, far, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception and visual monotony (e.g., computer screen). EDUCATION:
High School Graduate or GED Equivalent. Specialized training and experience in processing instruments, especially Flexible Endoscopes a plus. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Planned 4 to 6 weeks of orientation to the Endoscopy Suite by an endoscopy technician or professional nurse; ongoing in-service programs and on-the-job experiences/training. Customized orientation to each endoscopic procedure. Successful completion of BLS Course. Basic computer skills needed. Please complete your application using your full legal name andcurrent home address. Be sure toincludeemployment history forthe past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you areencouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications andlicenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.