Description Position at UMass Memorial Medical Center
Everyone Is a Caregiver.
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 214700
Title: Certified/Registered Medical Office Assistant, Ambulatory Clinic
Department: Primary Care Clinic
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus
Hours: 40 Hours
Shift Length: 8 hours
Under the direction of the appropriate licensed clinician, provides patient care by assisting with the implementation of care plans. Takes and records vital signs such as blood pressures, temperatures, height, weight, etc. Performs EKG's, assists physician and others with clinical procedures such as urine cultures, pregnancy tests, throat cultures, etc. Performs phlebotomy. Performs a variety of clerical functions to support office functions.
- Provides patient care including escorts patient to examination rooms, takes and records vital signs, collects and documents patient health status, history, and documents and monitors patient progress following standard procedures. Assists physician and others in clinical procedures as required or directed.
- As an integral member of the patient care team, serves both internal and external customers including patients, nurses, physicians and other colleagues who support the delivery of care and services.
- Provides clear, timely communication to the appropriate licensed clinician regarding observations and changes seen in patient.
- Assists in moving, lifting, positioning and transporting patients by utilizing fall prevention alternative devices/strategies as directed, and following the Restraint Policy standards when caring for a restrained patient. Utilizes proper safety techniques and body mechanic in all work-related activities.
- Performs EKG's, phlebotomy, performs Point of Care (POC) tests, according to hospital standards. Collects, labels and prepares specimens for transport to lab. Performs selected unit specific procedures such as checking status of unit equipment, cleaning equipment between patients and proper storage of supplies.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Medical Assistant credential approved by the Department of Health (ARMA, NHA, etc.)
- If not available upon hire/transfer, a Medical Assistant credential must be obtained within 1 year from date of hire/transfer. If credentialing is not obtained within 1 year of hire/transfer, the employee will be terminated or employee may apply for another position for which they meet the minimum qualifications.
- This Medical Assistant credential must be maintained.
- Current Basic Life Support or Heart Saver certification from the American Heart Association.
- Knowledge of office and laboratory procedures.
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English in a clear and concise manner.
- Must utilize proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to gather information from individuals, build relationships that support collaborative work within the clinic and provide exceptional service to patients.
- Must have proven problem-solving abilities for routine situations and request assistance from identified resources when needed.
- Must be able to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and responsiveness to patients' needs by acting as a source of information and approaches all interactions with the intention of building positive rapport and relationships.
Standards of Respect:
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience.
- Medical terminology and computer skills.
Acknowledge Listen Communicate Be Responsive Be a Team Player Be Kind
We're striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We're expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, UMMHC recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [emailprotected]. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.