Manages the operations and staff of Wendy’s restaurant, including the execution of all Company policies, procedures, programs and systems. Ensures objectives are reached in all areas while following all Company guidelines. Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local laws and ethical business practices. Provides leadership, direction, training and development to subordinate managers and crew.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages sales goals versus budget and prior year.
- Executes national and local marketing programs and new product roll-outs.
- Develops and implements appropriate plans to resolve unfavorable trends and enhance sales.
- Communicates sales performance and anticipated variances to District Manager and store management team.
- Responds to intrusive activities aimed at diverting store business.
- Builds sales by promoting customer satisfaction.
- Manages profit goals versus budget and prior year.
- Manages food, labor and paper costs and other controllable expenses.
- Manages costs by monitoring crew prep, production and procedures execution.
- Tracks waste levels using established procedures and monitoring crew position procedures.
- Develops and implements appropriate plans to resolve unfavorable trends and enhance profits.
- Communicates profitability performance and anticipated variances to DM and store management team.
- Ability to get along with staff and co-workers
- Ensures the execution of the restaurant’s overall Human Resources programs.
- Processes crew applications and sets up interviews, checks references.
- Maintains an on-going system for the recruitment, development, recognition and retention of store management and crew.
- Manages subordinate store management and crew employees in a manner which maximizes retention and contributes towards achievement of turnover goals.
- Utilizes approved interviewing tools to identify qualified applicants who positively reflect Wendy’s image.
- Manages and resolves performance issues with subordinate managers and crew including counseling and disciplining employees using consistent practices and following company policies and state & federal laws.
- Ensures proper staffing levels are achieved.
- Interviews and hires crew to ensure adequate coverage.
- Conducts quality, timely performance feedback and performance appraisals for store management & crew.
- Oversees and participates in providing quality, timely performance feedback and performance appraisals for crew & subordinate management.
- Serves as a role model, trains and coaches store managers in leadership, problem solving and other management skills.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws.
- Maintains a work environment in which employees are treated with respect and dignity.
- Follow open door processes.
- Follows all company policies & procedures
Quality, Service, and Cleanliness
- Achieves and maintains Sparkle certification through the execution of Quality, Service and Cleanliness standards.
- Trains and executes all food safety procedures and ensures compliance with Health Department regulations.
- Monitors product quality during shift by talking with customers during walk-through
- Monitors product quality by managing crew performance and providing feedback.
- Interacts with customers and ensures a timely resolution of all customer complaints.
- Tracks service times and determines efficiency; takes corrective action with management staff and crew as necessary. Performs Manager Walk for all areas of the entire store, addresses and resolves any safety/ cleanliness issues
- Provides proper training and development in compliance with the Company’s standards.
- Conducts timely and quality store orientations for managers and crew.
- Utilizes Crew Orientation and WE Learn Training system on a daily basis or as instructed.
- Communicates and trains on operations changes and new products to managers and crew.
- Assists with new Assistant Manager training.
- Audits and reviews systems, checklists and work habits to ensure store personnel are demonstrating desired behaviors.
- Evaluates high-performing crew to be considered as potential Crew Leaders or Shift Managers.
- Trains crew to respond promptly to customer needs and to solicit feedback to determine customer satisfaction.
- Ensures safety training is conducted for all employees every period
- Trains crew to maintain store cleanliness during shift by following the Company’s procedures.
- Provides priorities and task assignments to crew to accomplish store goals.
- Ensures store compliance with Company operating policies and procedures.
- Works with DM to establish store priorities and develops and executes store plans.
- Evaluates store performance, receives and incorporates feedback from store inspections, and implements action plans to improve store ratings.
- Achieves continual improvement in SOE, FSE and other store performance indicators.
- Conducts regular managers meetings to communicate and reinforce priorities.
- Utilizes approved uniform program.
- Ensures execution of Company policies and procedures for the control of cash, property, product and equipment (store priorities and store plan).
- Follows flow charts to ensure crew is meeting prep and production goals.
- Identifies and resolves potential security issues.
- Ensures cash, food, labor and wage guidelines are met.
- Manages store inventory (e.g. counts, levels, targets, waste, etc.)
- Trains and monitors crew in cash and product inventory controls.
- Complies with all safety and health standards and all applicable rules and regulations.
- Maintains safe working conditions by taking actions to prevent accidents and initiating corrective actions as appropriate to prevent recurrence of safety concerns.
- Ensures maintenance of building, grounds and equipment to include training and execution of Preventive Maintenance Program and tracks progress to completion.
- Manages shift to Q.S.C level of 85% or better.
- Completes all administrative requirements and reports.
- Writes crew schedule to meet plans and objectives of unit manager.
- Analyzes P&L and reviews with management team.
- Manages employee files, payroll records and other Company records in accordance with Company policies and legislative regulations.
- Completes schedules, invoices, payroll records, P&L etc. on a timely basis.
- Manages employment applications, completeness of employee files, including presence of all necessary documents.
- Performs exit interview process for crew.
- Reports all accidents promptly and accurately.
- Adheres to all Safety Program and Safety Marshal procedures according to policy guidelines.
Performs all other job-related duties as may be assigned or required.
*REGULAR ATTENDANCE IS AN ESSENTIAL FUNCTION OF THIS POSITION*
This job duty has four to five subordinate supervisors reporting to him/her. They are Crew Leader, Shift Supervisor, AMIT (if phase I), Assistant Manager and Co-Manager. At Times there could be as many as 30+ employees to report directly to the particular job position and as many as 18 on shift.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Company’s operating systems and procedures
- Company’s policies and procedures
- P&L analysis and corrective measures
- Supervisory practices
- Planning and budgeting
- Interviewing practices
- Training and development practices
- Federal, state and local employment laws
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Within 90 days of hire or promotion into position, must attend GM Core class and Crew Interviewing Workshop. Must be Serve-Safe Certified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the functions of this job, the employee may be required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to figure, feel or handle. The employee may also be required to reach with hands and arms, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. At times the employee may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee may be required to drive an automobile to run company errands such as making bank deposits and picking up changes, going to company training and company meetings, and occasionally borrowing or purchasing product or other items for the restaurant.
If driving for company business, the employee is required to maintain a valid state issued driver’s license and vehicle insurance coverage within the applicable state guidelines.
Employee may be exposed to high heat from grill and fryer equipment and may be exposed to cooking oils and other materials typically used in preparing fast food products.
There are no special vision requirements for this job position.
Must be 18 years old or older
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The General Manager must be able to stand for long periods without a break, and be able to travel to the bank, other restaurants, Area Office etc. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.