Prevention Specialist - Milwaukee, WI
Job Code: 2021-PRV-038
FT/PT Status: Prevention Services
Location: Milw Prev 3726
- Conduct confidential and anonymous HIV, HCV and syphilis testing counseling, testing and referral (CTR), in accordance with state guidelines, with individuals engaging in high-risk (see application details) and implement CTR sites targeting MSM and PWID.
- Establish and implement CTR sites targeting MSM and PWID.
- Record all contacts and activities into all system databases within 72 hours.
- Complete and submit all testing information in accordance with state policy (e.g., completion of appropriate testing forms, entering tests into web-based reporting system).
- Distribute approved education materials, safer sex materials and safer injection supplies to persons engaging in high-risk behaviors.
- Conduct one-on-one educational sessions and assessments with clients, to include referrals for internal and external services (e.g., pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), treatment, housing, employment).
- Perform regular outreach to bars, treatment and recovery centers, and other venues frequented by MSM and PWID to distribute condoms and educational materials, provide educational programming, provide CTR, and engage in conversations about HIV and other health-related topics.
- Actively plan and participate in community events, such as Pride Fest, that offer the ability to provide effective prevention outreach to MSM and PWID.
- Provide PrEP referrals to Vivent Health PrEP Navigator and/or clinic.
- Provide service delivery statistics on a monthly basis and develop public and private grant reports as required
- Network with Prevention Specialists located in other Vivent Health offices, other community-based organizations and providers to develop effective prevention strategies targeted to MSM and PWID.
- Attend all meetings and trainings as assigned by Supervisor and/or Vivent Health leadership.
- Serve as a member of Vivent Health staff offering an array of services (e.g., CTR, condom distribution, needle exchange, assisting case management clients, providing food pantry services) in one or many locations (e.g., another Vivent Health location, satellite site).
- Participate in daily activities and functions that help maintain overall Vivent Health operations, as well as Prevention Services.
- Regularly report to the Supervisor on all activities through biweekly personal management interviews (PMI).
- Implement special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Has an insurable driving record.
- Access to a reliable insured vehicle.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to type along with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a strong comfort level in discussing issues of sexuality, orientation, gender and sex.
- Ability to complete work assignments with minimal supervision, thoroughness and efficiency.
- Demonstrated cultural competency including the ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with individuals from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Dependability and punctuality.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the HIV/AIDS patient population, and /or eagerness to learn about this community.
- An Influenza vaccine is required of all new employees at the time of employment, and is required thereafter on an annual basis.
- A tuberculin/TB skin test is required of all new employees at the time of employment, and may be required thereafter on an annual basis, depending on position.
- Knowledge and/or past experience working with HIV/AIDS, PrEP, and alcohol and other drug (AODA) issues.
- Past experience presenting to small and/or large groups.
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions*
**Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer* *
Vivent Health is an equal opportunity employer and will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications regardless of race, gender, religion, skin color, national origin or ancestry, physical disability (including pregnancy) or mental disability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, legally protected medical condition, family care status, marital status, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law. Vivent Health complies with other expanded protected classifications that may be mandated by specific county or municipal regulations. As a recipient of federal funding, Vivent Health will not hire nor enter into a contractual relationship with any party that is debarred, suspended, or excluded from federal assistance programs.
*Public Student Loan Forgiveness*
Employment at our organization may qualify you for federal student loan forgiveness programs. We do not directly pay for - nor forgive - federal student loans; however our status as a not-for-profit organization under Section 501 (c) (3), makes us an eligible employer. There may be other determining factors for one to qualify.
Please follow this URL to review one such program and their requirements:
(see application details)