Kelly Services is hiring a Linux Systems Administrator
for a contract-to-hire opportunity in Davis, CA. Below are the details and required skills. For immediate consideration, please email your resume directly to email@example.com as well as apply online.
Systems Administrator (Linux)
Davis, California (some remote, but must be able to go onsite)
6 months contract-to-hire
- The current team is currently supporting 11 clusters and approximately 3000 users across campus supporting a wide range of research activities. This team handles all aspects of design, acquisition, installation, configuration, support, and maintenance of these clusters.
- The System Administrator will provide support to users to help them achieve their research goals. This includes user support, hardware installation and maintenance, account creation and maintenance, troubleshooting (hardware and software), and installation of software packages. This requires supporting a wide variety of users and working with team members and other IT teams.
- Respond to and resolve support requests such as user access request, access issues, software troubleshooting, resource related problems e.g., jobs hanging, long queue wait times, not enough disk space; and adding accounts.
40% Software Installs
- Configure and customize user requested software to the runtime specific environment. This can require porting the software, working with software developers, reporting problems, filing tickets, and modifying source code to work in the available environments.
10% Hardware Troubleshooting and Maintenance
- Troubleshoot and maintain cluster hardware replacing equipment as needed for upgrades and replacement. This includes working with vendors to identify and price correct parts, filing invoices and processing returns, unracking, shipping, cabling, and re-racking nodes.
10% Improving Cluster Infrastructure
- Continuously improve, update and replace infrastructure tools for configuration management, network base installs, monitoring of services, tracking hardware failures, and monitoring resource utilization as need to keep pace with the constantly evolving HPC environment.
- Use of a computer keyboard and mouse for programming for extended periods of time.
- Regularly remove nodes from a rack and install nodes into a rack.
- Maneuver, lift and carry equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Experience with batch queue, Slurm.
- Strong working knowledge of all aspects of Linux. Strong system administration skills relating to Linux.
- Knowledge of open-source software concepts and tools.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g., Perl and Python).
- Experience assimilating complex technical concepts, terms, and material, and explaining this material to non-technical clients.
- Skills to independently research, plan, test, document, and resolve incidents and problems
- Communication skills (oral, written, presentation, documentation) to interact effectively with HPC staff and users.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible).
By partnering with Kelly® Technology, you’ll have direct connections to top companies around the globe—giving you the chance to put your tech skills to work on some of today’s most intriguing, innovative, and high-visibility projects. In a world where change is the only constant, our unparalleled connections and IT market expertise help you take your skills exactly where you want to go. We’re here to help you gain experience, keep learning, and move your career forward.
At Kelly, we’re always thinking about what’s next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we’re a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live (plus, did we mention we provide a ton of benefits?). Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce and providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process as required under its Employment Accommodation Policy. Kelly will work with applicants to meet accommodation needs that are made known to Kelly in advance.