The Shift Manager is responsible for assisting the execution of daily operations activities. The following provides an overview of the basic responsibilities of a Shift Manager; however, with each certification you will be qualified and expected to provide additional leadership in one or more additional areas (Open/Close, Kitchen and/or Customer Service). The Shift Manager is responsible for overall restaurant effectiveness. As needed, you may be assigned other managerial and supervisory responsibilities, including performing as the Ops Leader.
The Shift Manager is responsible for managing shifts as well as operating and maintaining the restaurant to maximize profitability and customer satisfaction.
Sales and Profits
• Builds sales by promoting customer satisfaction.
• Manages costs by communicating and monitoring crew prep and production levels.
• Tracks waste levels using established procedures.
• Develops crew members to meet Q.S.C. standards and procedures. • Uses shift plan to organize and manage crew before and during shifts.
• Maintains current accurate crewmember roster.
• Monitors product quality during shift by talking with customers during walk-throughs and when working off-line.
• Monitors product quality by managing crew performance and providing specific feedback.
• Takes service times and determines efficiency.
• Trains crew to respond promptly to customer needs.
• Trains crew in customer courtesy.
• Evaluates slow production points and takes corrective action.
• Manages shift to meet service goals and customer satisfaction.
• Trains crew to maintain restaurant cleanliness during shift.
• Follows, manages and evaluates restaurant cleaning plan; reports status to the Restaurant Manager or General Manager.
• Assists the Restaurant Manager or General Manager in training crew in new products.
• Assists the Restaurant Manager or General Manager in executing the Crew Orientation and Training process.
• Assists the Restaurant Manager or General Manager in training new crew in position skills and to meet company standards.
• Cross-trains crew as necessary for efficient coverage of positions during shifts.
• Conducts specific training to resolve problems (i.e., food cost).
• Follows flowcharts, prep, and "build-to" charts.
• Monitors inventory levels to ensure product availability; orders product as projected.
• Manages security of cash, product and equipment during shifts.
• Follows restaurant priorities set by the Restaurant Manager or General Manager.
• Follows restaurant plan set by the Restaurant Manager or General Manager.
• Identifies and solves problems affecting sales and profits.
• Manages shift to consistent Q.S.C. level of 80% or better.
Policies and Procedures
• Follows all procedures outlined in the Operations Manual.
• Maintains safe working conditions in restaurant as outlined by company policies and procedures.
• Follows and enforces company policies for cash control.
• Reports accidents promptly and accurately.
• Follows procedures for resolving operational problems indicated by Health Department Inspections.
• Knows register procedures for discounts and promotions.
• Manages shifts effectively using "Managing Better Shifts (MBS)" or similar checklist.
• Performs administrative duties as required by the Restaurant Manager or General Manager.
• Follows guidelines of the Preventative Maintenance Program.
• Follows procedures for reporting and documenting maintenance problems.
• Uses consistent practices in managing performance problems with the crew.
• Manages crew in a manner which maximizes retention.
• Follows company grievance process.
• Follows restaurant plan to reduce crew turnover.
• Provides consistent communication between crew and management personnel.
• Takes appropriate corrective action in response to performance problems of crew; notifies the appropriate manager.
• Wendy's operating systems and procedures.
• Wendy's policies and procedures related to job responsibilities.
• Supervisory practices.
• Crew Orientation and Training program.
• Federal, state and local employment laws.
• College degree or equivalent experience in operations.
• 6 months experience in the restaurant industry.
• Valid Drivers License
• Must be able to perform all restaurant operations positions/functions
Other Physical Requirements
• Ability to quickly become knowledgeable about and able to train others in Wendy’s systems (i.e., WeLearn, etc) and on employee development programs
• The Shift Manager position requires standing for long periods of time without a break.
• The Shift Manager job requires being able to meet the requirements of all subordinate positions.
• Physical inspections of all areas of restaurant
• Ability to work, concentrate and perform duties accurately in a fast paced environment that may involve noise and hot/cold temperatures or other elements.
• Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
• Position requires the use of a headset. Frequent lifting and carrying (up to 25-50 pounds, as necessary), reaching, pushing, pulling, bending, kneeling and stooping is involved
• Ability to multi-task while maintaining composure and giving sound advice and direction.
• Must be able to take direction, give direction, work well in a team environment and have a strong customer orientation focus.
• Must exhibit professionalism, composure, and discretion when expediting or resolving all customer related concerns and issues
• Flexibility to work a 40+ hour work week.
• Must be available to report to work promptly and regularly, and to work all day parts and days of the week.
• Must have and maintain ServSafe certification
• Move and inspect all supplies in restaurant