PURPOSE OF POSITION:
· The Floral Clerk is responsible for assisting and servicing customers in the Floral
department. He/she stocks and replenishes the Floral cases and counters. This includes
the use of wheeled carts to transport product from the cooler/prep areas to the sales floor.
He/she is responsible for rotation and culling of product when necessary. He/she must
have excellent customer service skills, as they may work one on one with customers.
Floral clerks also do some preparation of floral arrangements, fruit baskets, and balloons.
He/she must maintain product quality by reviewing codes and visual observation of
product. He/she must maintain the Floral area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing
· This position reports to: Produce Manager, Assistant Produce Manager
· Position(s)that report directly to this position: none
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment alone or with
· Work in a cool damp environment inside and outside.
· Load and unload product weighing up to 60 lbs. from pallets stacked to a height of 6 feet.
· Lift and load 5-60 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
· Remove product from cartons and replenish Floral cases and counters with product.
· Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
· Visually identify product and read display signs.
· Read display information and other documents when necessary.
· Taking verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
· Prepare floral items to be displayed in cases.
· Work with latex balloons and helium.
· Work with various flowers, plants, and shrubbery.
· Use a knife to trim product. This requires repetitive motion.
· Visually identify and remove poor quality product from counters.
· Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including
greeting and thanking customers.
· Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
Revised June 2003
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Perform produce clerk functions.
· Prepare special customer requests such as fruit baskets.
· Lift and load product weighing up to 70 lbs.
· Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
· Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
· Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
· The Produce Manager or Asst. Produce Manager generally assigns the work.
· Floral clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing
any work that was not previously assigned.
· The Produce Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
· Time off requests should be made directly to the Produce Manager within the appropriate
time constraints as dictated by the individual manager’s preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
· Responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service including
· Have a good knowledge of product in the department.
· Floral clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
· Responsible for knowing and understanding all Floral specific policies and procedures.
· Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
· Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
· Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
· Must be at least 16 years old.
· If under 18 years old, a work permit or educational certificate may be required.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
· Prior floral experience.
· Prior stocking experience.
· Ability to work quickly and accurately.
· High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
Revised June 2003
· Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
· Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
· Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
· Floral clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
· Floral clerk requires some lifting and carrying of product.
· Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
· Floral back room conditions are generally cool/cold and damp/wet.
· Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
· Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
· A hair restraint must be worn at all times in food preparation areas.
· Associates in the Floral are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
· Floral clerk must work on all major floral holidays.
· This may be a part time or full time position.
· This is considered an entry-level position.
· Food safety awareness is required in this position.
· It is important to understand that all Floral clerks must have the ability to deal with some
potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in
a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and
responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time
the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its
representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s
Together, these two men sowed the seeds that would one day become Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc. And over the past 150 years, their growth can be directly attributed to the ingenuity of these two men and their belief in offering quality products and quality service.
Today, Shaw’s operates 149 stores throughout New England, which is part of a 2,300+ store operation that employs approximately 275,000 people nationwide.