Under close supervision the Shipping and/or Receiving Clerk performs a variety of duties to include; the preparation, posting, shipment of finished products in fulfillment of customer orders; and/or the receiving and unloading of shipments. Employees in this job classification prepare items for shipment, determine method of shipment, maintain records, unpack and inspect incoming stock, contact shipper to rectify shortages and damaged items. This job class requires knowledge of shipping and/or receiving methods and procedures; the ability to package securely, track, enter and look up detailed information; and the ability to operate a lift truck or hand truck.
TYPICAL SHIPPING DUTIES:
1. *Physically prepares and ships outbound customer orders within the distribution/ warehouse environment. Verifies product accuracy and count prior to finalization.
2. *Assembles cardboard containers or selects pre-assembled containers, and inserts items using spacers, fillers and protective padding.
3. *Determines method of shipment, according to shipping procedures, routes and rates.
4. *Prepares and affixes shipping labels on packed cartons.
5. *Posts weights and shipping charges, and affixes postage.
6. *Systematically processes customer orders using ERP/WMS systems as well as various carrier- provided external software programs to complete shipments.
7. *Prepares customer invoice documentation for outbound international shipments.
8. *Examines outgoing shipments to ensure they meet specifications. Compares identifying information and counts, and weighs or measures items to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, orders or other records.
9. *Enters and maintains required records of shipments.
10. *Maintains inventories of shipping materials and supplies.
11. *Operates and maintains lift truck or uses hand truck to move, convey, or hoist shipments from shipping platform to storage or work area.
12. Performs all other duties as assigned.
TYPICAL RECEIVING DUTIES:
13. *Receives arriving shipments of stock and prioritizes multiple incoming shipments.
14. *Unloads trucks, vehicles and other storage containers onto dock or staging area.
15. *Unpacks and examines shipments, rejects damaged items, records shortages, and contacts shipper to rectify problems.
16. *Compares identifying information and counts. Weighs or measures items and verifies information against bills of lading, invoices, or other records to confirm that orders are complete.
17. *Verifies and records shipment information and maintains records on incoming shipments,
18. *Sorts and stacks material to be palletized for movement to designated staging areas, depending on ultimate destination.
19. *Enters real time systematic transactions for receiving materials using RF scan guns, or enters information into system.
20. *Logs-on to ERP systems to obtain paperwork on incoming and outgoing orders.
21. *Produces and applies individual part number labels for newly received products.
22. Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Denotes Essential Job Function MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• One year of work experience, preferably in shipping and receiving;
• Familiarity with packing and shipping methods and processes preferred;
• Skills to operate a computer keyboard and 10-key by touch;
• Experience operating a forklift, Pallet Ryder and other material handling equipment, preferred;
• Ability to communicate effectively and respond to questions and requests;
• Effective written communication skills using appropriate business English;
• Computer literacy to use business software, the Internet, enter data/retrieve data;
• Human relations skills to build effective working relationships;
• Demonstrated customer service, problem solving and common sense skills.
High School Diploma or GED
CERTIFICATES OR LICENSES REQUIRED: The following licenses or certificates may be required depending on local, state and/or contract requirements:
Forklift Certification Valid Driver's License
Employees must have the ability to perform the following physical demands for extended periods of
time with or without assistance:
• Maneuvering in and around the warehouse
• Bending and stooping
• Lifting and moving boxes weighing up to 35 pounds
• Pulling or pushing up to 75 pounds
• May require using a pallet jack
• Climbing on and off material handling equipment
• Viewing Computer screen
• Utilizing keyboard
Work is performed in a commissary, warehouse, or distribution environment with forklifts, material handling and production equipment. May be exposed to noise from equipment and depending on external weather conditions exposure to heat, cold, wind, and rain.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.
- 18 years or older
- Legally authorized to work in the United States