Do you have a passion for helping pets and people?
Are you just as handy with a mop as you are with a cranky calico?
Does a stack of freshly folded towels and a well-stocked dog food cabinet make you feel like life is complete?
You might be just the person we are looking for to lead our team of nine as our Animal Care Supervisor!
Loudoun County Animal Services (LCAS) is seeking qualified applications for an Animal Care Supervisor to oversee all aspects of animal care in the shelter setting. Receiving more than 2,000 animals a year, and achieving a live release rate of over 93%, no two days are the same, but the rewards of working with the people and animals of Loudoun County are endless. Loudoun County has just opened a brand new, state-of-the-art Animal Services facility in Leesburg, and we are looking for someone to join our leadership team at the first animal shelter in the US to meet 100% of the ASV Shelter Guidelines. Core components of this position include management and leadership of:
- Nine animal care technicians, including their scheduling, training and support.
- Pet adoption programs, working with adopters to help them find the best match for their family.
- Implementation of training and behavior modification plans for cats and dogs to improve adoptability and help them cope with the shelter environment.
The successful candidate will:
- Have experience in animal sheltering and animal care, to include a wide variety of companion animals.
- Have exceptional time management, organizational and customer service skills.
- Be team-oriented and enjoy working with people as much as with animals, but also have the ability to self-start and make leadership decisions.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
- Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Annual leave
- Sick leave
- Annual Paid Holidays
- Group Health Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Exceptional Performance Recognition
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Education and Career Development
Position requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma/GED and 3 years of related work experience including administrative experience and experience working with animals, working with the public and supervising. Must possess a valid driver's license and good driving record. Experience in an animal shelter, kennel, or veterinary hospital preferred.
Animal Services is a physically demanding occupation, with the potential for exposure to infectious diseases, viruses, noxious fumes and chemicals, as well as risk of injury. A rabies pre-exposure vaccination series will commence immediately upon hire unless proof of prior vaccination is provided. Candidate should not have allergies to, or fear of, common companion animal species, including cats, dogs, reptiles, guinea pigs and rabbits. Must have the ability to control large and potentially dangerous animals over 100 pounds and team lift animals weighing up to 75 pounds. Must be available to work shifts, including mornings, weekends, and rotating evenings and/or holidays.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Successful candidate will undergo a background check and physical examination, to include drug screening. Complete pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. Complete and continue renewal of certification in accordance with the State of Veterinarian's Directive 79-1 (Methods Prescribed or Approved for Animal Euthanasia) within 6 months of hire. Will also be required to obtain certification in Incident Command System 100, 200, 700, and 800 within 6 months of employment. Prefer licensed Veterinary Technician and Euthanasia Technician.