Business Unit OverviewMichael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.Location Description
Michael Foods, Inc. located in Wakefield, Nebraska is known as the Baseball Capital of Nebraska. Milton G. Waldbaum and Dan Gardner founded our egg-processing business in 1950 here in Wakefield. ResponsibilitiesPOSITION SUMMARY:
The Automation Technician will safely and efficiently maintain, troubleshoot and work to improve the electrical and automation subsystems within the production facility.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, responding appropriately to changing priorities.
- Respectfully interact with a diverse group of people.
- Adhere to safe work practices, complete monthly safety audits/observations, follow GMP's, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Effectively communicate the status of issues and projects with management, vendors, peers and production personnel.
- Provide technical leadership and support to the electrical and instrumentation technicians at the facility.
- Use the appropriate tools (e.g. multimeter, software) to troubleshoot and diagnose the root cause of electrical issues in the facility.
- Work with internal and external resources to resolve issues as quickly and effectively as possible.
- Assumes personal responsibility to insure safe and healthy workplace for everyone. Adhere to all safety policies and procedures and, incorporate safety and health in all jobs and tasks.
- Insures regulatory compliance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Able to work weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- Interpret electrical schematics and user manuals.
- Troubleshoot process issues with automation software.
- Troubleshoot hardware issues with PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and touchscreens.
- Use advanced network troubleshooting to diagnose control networking issues.
- Work with IT to troubleshoot and maintain automation servers.
- Create user manuals and training documentation. Train electrical techs as appropriate.
- Identify and facilitate process and automation improvements.
- Identify necessary program changes and work with Corporate Controls to implement.
- Assist and consult with management/engineering on projects as needed.
- Provide support and leadership to the electrical techs.
- Manage, backup and organize all automation related documentation for the facility (programs, schematics, network information, manuals, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS: EXPERIENCE
- Two-year certificate from college or technical school or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Five years strong industrial electrical background in a manufacturing environment (food processing plant preferred). Experience in mechanical systems, and pneumatics helpful.LANGUAGE SKILLS:
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as electrical schematics, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations and procedure manuals in English.
Ability to write routine reports, procedural manuals and correspondence in English.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and in group situations. Ability to respond to questions from internal/external customers/vendors at all levels including management.MATHEMATICAL SKILLS:
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, fractions, ratios. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.REASONING ABILITY:
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
Electrical Apprentice or Journeyman's license preferred (but not required).OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Specific skills and abilities required that are not included in other sections:
- Experience with Allen Bradley/Rockwell automation required.
- Shift/weekend work may be required.