PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Bakery Clerk is responsible for waiting on and servicing customers at the Bakery service counter. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is responsible for preparing, baking, and/or packaging bakery product. Product is placed on the display shelf/case for customer purchase, or may be handed directly to the customer across the counter. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they are usually working one on one with customers. He/she must also fill products into the service case, self-service cases, and other display areas and may take down product at night. Bakery clerks prepare food products including both cold and hot foods. He/she must maintain product quality by reviewing appearance, codes, and rotating product. He/she must maintain the Bakery area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
- This position reports to: Bakery Manager, Assistant Bakery Manager
- Position(s)that report directly to this position: Full time clerks may supervise, train, and develop part time clerks when assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment with other people or alone.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Operate Bakery department equipment including ovens, mixers, slicers, and others.
- Prepare bakery product for sale to customer. This includes setting up product, baking, wrapping, pricing, and producing items for sale, which includes repetitive motion.
- Wait on customers from behind Bakery service cases, process verbal orders (including wrapping and pricing), and deliver orders to customer from across the counter.
- Must work quickly and carefully while preparing items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
- Visually identify product and PLU code; manually enter into the labeler for pricing.
- Reading display terminal and other documents when necessary.
- Taking verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
- Placing product into or removing product weighing up to 40 lbs. from refrigerated cases.
- Work safely with electronic slicing equipment, ovens, mixers, and other Bakery related machinery.
- Replenishing product from the prep area to the display shelf/case/table.
- Lift and load 5-40 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to prep area.
- Work in a warm/cool/cold environment.
- Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers.
- Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform cake-decorating and cream case functions.
- Preparing special customer requests such as cakes or platters.
- Lift and load product weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Storage of supplies and materials from receiving area to prep area.
- Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
- Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
- Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- The Bakery Manager or Asst. Bakery Manager generally assigns the work.
- Bakery clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing any work that was not previously assigned.
- The Bakery Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service including suggestive selling.
- Bakery clerks should make sure the customer gets exactly what they want (show customer types of cakes, etc.).
- Bakery clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty. • Responsible for knowing and understanding all Bakery specific policies and procedures.
- Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Customers o Supervisors o Co-workers o Store Management o Vendors
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Prior food handling experience.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately.
- High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
- Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
- Some bakery duties may involve overnight work.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Bakery conditions may vary from warm to hot.
- Bakery clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
- Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
- A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
- Associates in the Bakery are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
- This may be a part time or full time position.
- This is considered an entry-level position.
- Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Bakery clerks must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.