Job Title: Seafood Clerk
As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Seafood Clerk provides friendly, courteous, and helpful
service. Cuts, weighs, wraps and packages seafood for sale in the seafood section of a grocery store.
Cleans product, weighs, wraps, and places in display area. Logs temperature in freezer and cooler and
maintains area in a cleanly condition.
Safeway Seafood Clerk employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and
within company policy.
2. Speak with customers to resolve problems with sales, dissatisfaction with service or product or other
problems related with the operation of the Seafood Department.
3. Handles seafood products of varying weights.
4. Operates electronic scanning scale to record weight of item packaged.
5. Applies price tags to item wrapped.
6. Obtains items from case on special order for customers.
7. Maintains cleanliness of seafood area. Includes wiping up spills, cleaning surfaces and cleaning
equipment used in cutting and wrapping.
8. Replaces stock in displays in the seafood area.
9. Answers questions regarding availability, applicability and price of seafood items.
10. Takes and prepares special orders.
11. May order product.
12. Make signs for displays as needed.
13. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or
2. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
3. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
4. Ability to work independently when necessary.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
% Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: 0-42 F.
Chemicals: None. (Some self cleaning departments will use chemicals)
Safeway, Inc. Seattle Division
SAFEWAY, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Page 2 of 2
Job Title: Seafood Clerk
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
wrapping machine, knives, computerized scale, six- wheeler, bailer, box knife, telxon, pens, pencils, office
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constant lifting of 1-10 lbs. Frequent lifting of 11-35 lbs. Occasional lifting of 36-50lbs.
Constantly carries 1-10 lbs. Occasionally carries 11-20 lbs.
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. to move stock to wrapper and about display area into push later carts.
Occasionally pushes/pulls 11-35 lbs.
Occasional at or above shoulder level reaching. Occasional knee to shoulder reaching.
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking while on job.
Seldom climbing/balancing. May use step stool or ladder.
Frequent bending of head when serving customers. Frequent twisting when cutting, wrapping and
serving customers. Seldom neck rotation, bending/stooping, crouching, squatting, and kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping to prepare and place product for sale. Frequent repetitive motion when
cutting and wrapping.
Depth perception is used to move about meat and seafood area of the store and to push cart back and
forth through crowed areas and past moving machinery. Near vision is used to cut, wrap, and price
To take orders from customers and obtain information from other employees.
To provide service to customers and provide information to other employees.
Safeway will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities who can meet
overall job requirements