The Seafood Clerk is responsible for waiting on and servicing customers at the Seafood
service counter. This includes the use of knives and entering PLUs manually into the
scales. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include
being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is responsible for
filling seafood case with ice when necessary. Product is handed directly to the customer
across the counter. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they are
usually working one on one with customers. He/she must also fill products into the
service case, self-service cases, and other display areas and may also take down product
at night. Seafood clerks also prepare food products and work with cooked and uncooked
foods. He/she must maintain product quality by reviewing codes and rotating product.
He/she must maintain the Seafood area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
• This position reports to: Seafood Manager
• Position(s)that report directly to this position: none
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment alone or with
• Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling - Connect with the
customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer
• Cut products with a large knife. This requires repetitive motion and force on occasion.
• Wait on customers from behind Seafood service cases, process verbal orders (including
weighing and pricing), and deliver orders to customer from across the counter.
• Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
• Visually identify product and PLU code; manually enter into the scale for pricing.
• Reading display terminal and other documents when necessary.
• Taking verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
• Placing product into or removing product weighing up to 30 lbs. from refrigerated cases.
• Work with ice including shoveling, lifting, loading, scooping, and spreading.
• Replenishing product weighing up to 30 lbs. from the cooler to the display case.
• Prepare food product to be displayed in cases including live shellfish.
• Lift and load 5-30 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
• Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including
greeting and thanking customers.
• Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Perform deli clerk functions.
• Preparing special customer requests such as platters.
• Lift and load product weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
• Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
• Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
• The Seafood Manager generally assigns the work.
• Seafood clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing
any work that was not previously assigned.
• The Seafood Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
• Time off requests should be made directly to the Seafood Manager within the appropriate
time constraints as dictated by the individual manager's preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service including
• Seafood clerks should make sure the customer gets exactly what they want (show
customer thickness of filet, etc.).
• Seafood clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
• Responsible for knowing and understanding all Seafood specific policies and procedures.
• Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
• Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
• Prior food handling experience.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately.
• High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
• Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
• Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
• Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
• Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
• Seafood clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
• Seafood clerks work with large knives.
• Seafood clerks work with live shellfish.
• Seafood workstations may be wet.
• Ice is used in the storage of and display of seafood product.
• Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
• Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
• A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
• Associates in the Seafood are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
• This may be a part time or full time position.
• This is considered an entry-level position.
• Significant Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Seafood clerks must have the ability to deal with
some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this
position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and
responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time
the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its
representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw's