Responsible for all culinary and back-of-house operations at assigned unit. As part of the operations, the Executive Chef is responsible for the management of all back of the house staff as well as the general execution of all food service operations (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Develops and creates the menu for the food service operations, ensuring the highest quality of foodservice, productivity, and consistency. Develops and monitors a budget to ensure compliance with cost controls. Monitoring departmental systems and standards. Work with the guidance of the Food & Beverage Director and in collaboration with the management team to develop, implement, and monitor effective and compliant processes and procedures in alignment with company culture and philosophy. Demonstrate leadership, creativity, integrity, and resourcefulness.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interview, hire, evaluate, conduct performance coaching & counseling and performance evaluations of direct reports.
- Develop, train and mentor direct reports, acting as a resource to them and identifying opportunities for growth, development and retention.
- Responsible for recommending or conducting disciplinary action, including termination, of staff as necessary according to HR company standards.
- Create labor schedules and monitor staffing levels. Recommend staffing needs according to business levels.
- Develop necessary training programs for direct reports.
- Responsible for training culinary staff on all SOPS.
- Promote and maintain positive working relationships and create a team environment with managers and associates, banquet managers and associates and owners of the venue.
- Maintain positive relationships with approved vendors.
- Assist staff in the completion and processing of time off in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations as they pertain to health, safety and labor.
- Responsible for overseeing the ordering and receiving of all food products and daily BOH operating supplies in a timely manner. This includes determining the quantity and variety of food items needed and maintaining an accurate inventory at all times.
- Adjust, evaluate, and develop responses to fluctuations in business demands and sales. This includes quantity of food purchased/prepared and staffing levels.
- Partner with Director of Purchasing to ensure the highest level of quality at the best prices.
- Monitor waste and utilization of all product, productivity and efficiency of staff.
- Manage and assist in implementation of systems for cost controls, inventory maintenance, waste and par level management.
- Provide accurate and timely period end inventories for both food and BOH operating supplies.
- Monitor and edit weekly payroll.
Culinary & Stewarding Operations:
- Develop seasonal menus and implement daily/weekly specials and special promotional menus as needed or instructed.
- Develop (in conjunction with other personnel as determined by the Company), implement and ensure compliance with SOPs.
- Plan, prepare, and oversee food production and execution for all facets of the hotel. This may at times include the coordination of items from outside commissaries.
- Develop, implement and maintain plan for purchasing, preparation, and execution of all private seated dinners.
- Ensure that all standards and specifications are created, implemented and maintained for production, execution and presentation of all menu items. This includes accurate and updated recipes, photos, vessel presentation specifications, purchasing specifications, prep lists, portioning for semi-private/PDR events station set up and break down.
- Develop, implement and maintain opening and closing procedures for culinary and stewarding departments.
- Create, update and follow recipe instructions on a consistent basis.
- Act as liaison between culinary and special events departments.
- Responsible for having the oversight of all catered events, including being the lead chef at some events, with The James Hotel culinary staff and meet all SOPs for quality, presentation and consistency of menu items.
- Responsible for staffing all culinary department operations including catered events; outsource and utilize freelance and/or staff as necessary and within labor cost guidelines.
- Ensure all staff is trained in food handling procedures and following all New York State Health and Sanitation Guidelines.
- Exhibit knowledge and expertise in all areas of hotel stewarding.
- Ensure that the Executive Steward maintains all SOPs and adheres to budgets including facility maintenance, sanitation, equipment repairs, big four and vessel pars and upkeep and labor schedules.
- Participate in annual tasting.
- Achieve and maintain an “A” grade from the NYC Health Department.
STANDARDS & SKILLS:
- Always practice Caring Culture.
- Protect the assets of the property.
- Maintain professional behavior when in contact with guests and associates.
- Follow Policies and Procedures in training manuals and associate handbook.
- Always remember we are in a partnership with our guests, fellow associates and owners to provide quality service and profitability.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the company standards is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Must have the ability to read, speak and understand English, and to follow written directions and verbal instructions in English.
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively in a high volume, fast past, highly pressured environment, and be able to lead and respond efficiently to unanticipated problems and crises.
- 3 + years management experience in a quality restaurant operation.
- Prior private dining and/or catering experience preferred.
- Degree in culinary field preferred.
- Food Handlers Certification.
- Knowledge of State Health and Sanitation Guidelines.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work effectively, independently, and efficiently with time constraints.
- Must be creative, innovative, and proactive.
- Must be detail oriented and perform work accurately and timely.
- Proficient computer skills necessary including Microsoft Office.
- Financial management cost controls, food and labor cost management experience required.
- Ability to effectively, professionally, and respectfully communicate with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, and clients.
- Able to work a flexible schedule in order to accommodate business levels (weekend and holiday availability required). We will endeavor to provide reasonable accommodations for sincerely held religious beliefs.
About Elior North America
Elior North America enhances people’s lives through culinary innovation and a commitment to providing exemplary service. Our family of companies, with more than 17,000 employees, provides food services and catering to over 1,500 client accounts in five industry segments across the continental United States. We are proud to be the fifth largest culinary management company in the country and excited to be the fastest growing organization in the industry.
We focus on three ingredients for success to differentiate Elior from our competitors and position our company as a disruptor in the markets we serve. To support our ingredients for success and drive our mission and values, we need talented team members throughout our family of companies.
Elior North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.