The Meat Cutter is responsible for waiting on and servicing customers at the Meat Department. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she cuts (with a knife and/or saw), bones, and trims meat product, places finished product into trays to be wrapped. The cutter may also weigh and price product. He/she must fill products into the service case, self-service cases, and other display areas and may also take down product at night. Meat Cutters may also do preparation of food products and work with cooked and uncooked foods. He/she must maintain product quality by reviewing appearance , codes, and rotating product. He/she must maintain the Meat prep area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
- This position reports to: Meat Manager, Assistant Meat Manager
- Position(s) that report directly to this position: Full time Meat Cutters may supervise, train, and develop part time clerks when assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment with other people or alone.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling - Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Operate meat department equipment such as band saw, meat grinder, meat blender, cuber, auto wrapper, scale, and slicer.
- Assist customers, process verbal orders (including weighing and pricing), and deliver orders to customer from across the counter.
- Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
- Visually identify product and PLU code; manually enter into the scale for pricing.
- Handle various raw meat products to cut, prepare, wrap, price, and stock into meat cases.
- Read display terminal and other documents when necessary.
- Lift and load product weighing up to 60 lbs
- Retrieve product weighing up to 60 lbs. from the cooler to the prep room
- Lift and load 5-40 lb trays/cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
- Take verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
- Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers.
- Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Preparing special customer requests
- Lift and load product weighing up to 80 lbs.
- Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
- Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
- Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Store Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Prior meat cutting experience
- Excellent customer service skills.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Prior food handling experience.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately.
- High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
- Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Meat Cutter requires the performance of repetitive tasks
- Meat Cutters work with knives, saws, and other potentially hazardous equipment.
- Meat Cutters work with raw meat products.
- Meat workstations are cool/cold and may be wet
- Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
- Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
- A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
- Associates in the Meat Dept. are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
- This may be a part time or full time position.
- This is considered an entry-level position.
- Significant Food safety awareness is required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all Meat Cutters must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.
Posting ID: 72825285Posted: 2019-10-15