This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois. The Assistant Store Manager (ASM) is primarily responsible for providing support to the Store Manager with effective and efficient operation of their assigned location, including generating store sales as well as managing and motivating retail staff while providing excellent customer service. This position is transitional and is intended for an individual to be willing to encompass promotion opportunity within 1-3 years. Responsibilities include interviewing, recommending hires, training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving concerns.
The responsibilities, work schedule, qualifications, physical demands and work environment summarized here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensures accurate cash management and maintenance of business records as necessary in the Retail Management System (RMS).
- Works in coordination with the Store Manager and other retail management to meet the designated goals and expectations of the location.
- Provides orientation, training, development and supervision of staff to maintain teamwork principle
- Recruits and manages qualified staff to meet the employment needs of the store
- With Store Manager support, the ASM maintains expenses and ratios below or at the budgeted level
- Performs all functions of store operations. Opens and/or closes facility according to established procedures.
- Performs merchandise handling tasks as necessary.
- Promotes store sales through excellent customer service. Maximizes production to meet/exceed the established goals.
- Knowledge of local retail competition, pricing strategies and merchandise technique, etc.
- Maintains sufficient inventory to meet the needs of the consumer.
- Maintains store in a clean, neat and attractive condition utilizing merchandising and display principles.
- With Store Manager support, the ASM maintains the ongoing operations, safety, and preventative maintenance, and inspections of all area.
- Instructs employees on their duties which details expectations and emphasizes safety.
- With Store Manager support, the ASM manages and ensures staff receives proper training to meet or exceed Goodwill’s expectations and/or standards.
- Ensures pricing and properly tagging items are in accordance with Goodwill standards.
- Audits and evaluates staff to ensure proper merchandising and recycling standards are met.
- Promotes and demonstrates teamwork and cooperation by utilizing good interpersonal skills, effective written and verbal communication, and maintaining quality relationships with co-workers and donors.
- Educates staff and customers on current Goodwill promotions, including the rewards program.
- Follows and directs team in cash handling and loss prevention procedures and protocols.
- Stays abreast of company procedures by successfully passing all quizzes.
- Maintains Goodwill dress code requirements and adherence to store scheduling.
- In addition to the general qualifications listed above, physical demands for this position will include
- regular use of a pallet jack, double stacker or other heavy equipment.
- Adherence to all safety standards and reporting procedures.
- A minimum of two years of high school education.
- Five or more related experience desired. Three or more retail supervisory experience desired.
- Performs basic math functions to collect money and make change. Effective to good reading, writing and math skills relative to the role.
- Displays a positive attitude when interacting with customers and employees. Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills. Ability to work with the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Leader, team player, solid work ethic and adherence to procedures and protocol, including adherence to the Goodwill’s principles.
- Strong attention to detail and quality of work, including safety awareness.
- Good leadership and time-management skills.
- Must be able to bend, stand, stretch, grip, type and carry for periods of time
- Position requires carrying items in excess of 25 pounds and up to 50 pounds on occasion.
- Must be able to view a computer screen regularly.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification may be required. The training will be offered by Goodwill.
- Valid Driver’s License and Proof of Vehicle Insurance are required for Company Drivers.
- Commitment to continued learning and engaged participation in mandatory trainings offered by Goodwill.
An individual must be able to be work a flexible or irregular schedule. Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Employee is frequently pushing, pulling, bending, reaching and lifting to 50lbs and carrying up to 25lbs frequently. Employee is frequently standing. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Frequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.) The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform their designated role satisfactorily.
Goodwill Industries of Central IL Benefits Opportunities:
- Paid Holidays
- Safe Harbor 401(k) –a match of up to 5% by Goodwill.
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
- Comprehensive health plan
- Section 125 pretax health and dependent care spending account
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Annual performance review
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
To learn more about our Mission and Values, please go to www.goodwillpeo.org. Goodwill Industries of Central IL is EEO Employer