Custodian 1 (Multiple Openings) - Pool
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Central Washington University is recruiting to fill current and future Custodian 1 positions to join our Custodial Services team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they enhance the vision for the University. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience, from $31,092 - $39,852 annually plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: .
The Custodian 1 performs a variety of custodial services both individually and with other Custodial Services staff in residential, academic, or administrative facilities as assigned. Custodian provides superior customer service to provide a clean, safe working environment. The specific duties, tasks or combinations of tasks may vary according to the assigned facility(s); facility assignments may be changed to meet the needs of the department. Work is performed professionally and efficiently, incorporating both personal integrity and mutual respect. All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
Perform all aspects of custodial duties to include but not limited to:
- Effectively communicate and maintain positive working relations with faculty, staff, students, and the campus community as well as Facilities Management Department (FMD) management team. Perform work in a manner that provides excellent service with nominal to no inconvenience or disruption for the client. Perform quality work that meets or exceeds the expectation and satisfaction of the client.
- Perform work using Best Practices while maintaining compliance with applicable laws, policies, and procedures to provide a safe workplace.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms (toilets, showers, sink), kitchens and laundry rooms, food production areas, walk-in coolers, dining rooms, storage rooms, retail areas, classrooms, and offices.
- Fill toilet paper, paper towel, sani-shield, and soap dispensers.
- Clean, sweep, mop, scrub, strip and wax floors, vacuum, shampoo, and extract carpets; removing stains and gum.
- Steam clean, shampoo and extract upholstery.
- Wash walls, woodwork, doors, partitions, windows, mirrors, dispensers, vents, pipe, stair railings and light fixtures.
- Dust, polish furniture and fixtures, clean cobwebs.
- Clean chalkboards, whiteboards, and erasers.
- Empty, clean and reline trash receptacles.
- Change light bulbs and exit lights.
- Hang drapes and do minor repair on drapery hardware.
- Strip beds lay out linen and make beds. Sort, wash, fold, and iron linens.
- Break down cardboard boxes.
- Operate all custodial equipment in performance of custodial duties including wet/dry vacuums, pack vacuums, buffers, auto-scrubbers, carpet extractors, hand blowers, electrostatic sprayers, high pressure washers and state vehicles.
- Move furniture, custodial equipment and supplies in buildings (up and down stairs) and around campus.
- Ensure all assigned buildings and areas are clean and safe at all times.
- Ensure all buildings, rooms, windows, facilities, and equipment are locked and secured. Lock and unlock buildings per schedules.
- Maintain outside appearance and safe entry of assigned buildings and areas by picking up litter, washing deck/lawn furniture, emptying trash receptacles, knocking down cobwebs, sweeping walkways, patios, catwalks, stairs, receiving docks and removing snow and ice.
- Assign, instruct and check the work of 1-3 student/temporary custodial assistants.
- Setup/take down of furniture and equipment for conferences/meetings and other special events.
- Perform cleanup after sports and special events.
- Maintain inventory of custodial supplies and equipment; ensure all tools and equipment are kept clean and in good working order.
- Keep custodial supply closets clean and well organized.
- Report repairs and maintenance needed to buildings and assigned areas to work control and custodial lead.
- Keep complete and accurate written records of all maintenance calls and annual cleaning duties performed in assigned areas.
- Enter Time and Attendance daily with accurate work order numbers.
- Respond in emergency situations.
- Attend departmental meetings, safety meetings and training sessionsTurn in all unclaimed property to supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position and meet the physical demands of the working conditions.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Basic computer skills, to receive and respond to e-mail, report time, performance evaluations etc.
- Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Residential, commercial, or other applicable custodial experience.
- Working knowledge of custodial supplies, cleaning chemicals, floor care products, and equipment.
- Valid Washington State driver's license.
- Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations.
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU 's commitment to inclusion and diversity.
- Perform our Best: Interact daily with faculty, students, staff, and others in the campus community in a professional manner. Treat others and be treated with respect; perform with integrity, honesty, and professionalism; participate constructively in open communication; help to resolve issues and difficult situations in ways that reduce conflict and maintain good working relationships; improve work performance and take an active part in generating a mutually supportive environment. Recognize that diversity is an asset and value cultural, physical, and professional differences.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines, and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Salary: $2,591 /month with periodic increases up to $3,321 /month
Schedule/Appointment: Dependant on department needs / Bargaining Unit 1 - WFSE
Working Conditions: This position will work indoors and outdoors, including work in inclement weather during daylight and dark hours and at times in hot/cold/noisy/dirty/wet/confined areas such as mechanical rooms. This position often requires standing/crawling/bending/walking/climbing/carrying (up to 50 pounds) /pulling/pushing/lifting associated with moving of equipment, furniture and/or tools. Some stooping, kneeling, repetitive motion of arms and hands, and other physical movements as required by assigned tasks and essential functions of the position. Frequent use of personal protection equipment such as ear plugs, safety glasses and filtration masks will be required.
Scheduled hours will vary depending on the needs of the department. Occasional overtime and shift work are required. May be required to work weekends, days, evenings, and holidays. May need to drive a service vehicle in congested areas. This position is considered an essential position and availability will be required to respond to university emergencies.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: :
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: .
in Ellensburg, WA
- Central Washington University • 3d ago
- Central Washington University • 3d ago