School Crossing Guard - Full-time / Part-time
Woodbridge, VA 22195
Are you interested in a rewarding job that provides a significant service to the youth of Prince William County and the community? Then consider joining us! The Prince William County Police Department is seeking qualified candidates to work part-time as School Crossing Guards county wide. Make a difference in your community and still have time to enjoy other pursuits. Receive on the job training and paid leave. Uniforms will be provided.
To view a day in the life of a Crossing Guard and see how exciting and rewarding our day is watch the video below.
NATURE OF WORK
This class is part of the Public Safety Support - School Job Family. Incumbents follow standard guidelines to maintain safety of children at intersections and crosswalks. Responsibilities may include guiding traffic; instructing children in crossing safely; and explaining rules to families.
This position is responsible for maintaining intersection and crosswalk safety and guiding incoming traffic.
TYPICAL CLASS RESPONSIBILITIES (These responsibilities are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. Monitors and maintains student safety in crosswalks and street intersections which may include: directing or escorting pedestrians across streets, stopping traffic as necessary; directing traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
2. Communicates traffic and crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
3. Documents a variety of unsafe behaviors which may include vehicles disregarding traffic signals and/or any behavior that threatens the safety of school children or school officials.
4. Prepares and maintains routine paperwork and reports detailing daily activity.
5. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Crossing guard equipment and tools;
Basic public safety and security practices and procedures;
Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations;
Report compilation techniques;
Computers and related software applications.
Assisting patrons in crosswalks and street crossings;
Applying safety and security laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
Providing customer service;
Using a computer and related software applications;
Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Discipline specific responsibilities do not apply to this classification.
LEVEL OF DECISIONS
Responsibilities are typically procedure based with defined goals and processes or methods, but incumbents have the latitude to determine the speed or order of steps used to complete assignments.
Incumbents perform tasks following defined procedures and standards, and deviation from procedures typically requires prior approval.
Incumbents are typically not responsible for providing formal work direction.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must satisfactorily complete in-house field training;
- Must possess valid driver's license;
- Must pass DMV record check, background investigation, credit check, employment physical, and hearing and vision screening;
- Must be proficient in the operation of motor vehicles and have suitable driving record.
Positions in this class typically require: balancing, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Incumbents may be subjected to extreme temperatures.
The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
Prince William County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
in Woodbridge, VA
est. per hour
per hourLyft Gig Start today
Verified per hourTransdevna • 5d ago Urgently hiring
est. per hourPizza Hut • 3d ago Urgently hiring
Verified per hour