Assistant Professor - Cybersecurity - Full-time / Part-time
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Working at CWU, you will have the opportunity to be a transformational teacher, researcher, and mentor to a diverse population of students seeking to become computer science professionals. You are responsible to the department chair in matters of teaching assignments, scholarship and service. You will teach an appropriate workload of both general computer science courses, as well as courses within your area of expertise. You will engage undergraduates and possibly graduate students in cybersecurity-related scholarship and service activities as part of your workload. You will integrate CWU's commitment to diversity and create a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible, and inclusive for all students.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: .
- PhD in Computer Science or closely related field with a specialization in cybersecurity (ABD accepted but the dissertation must be completed within one year of employment).
- Effective communication skills as demonstrated by submitted written materials and stated accomplishments on the vita.
- Demonstrated experience or potential to teach a wide range of upper-level undergraduate computer science courses using a variety of teaching modalities.
- Demonstrated commitment to and/or experience in the use of inclusive teaching methodologies and approaches that will engage and inspire students from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring/advising a multicultural population to expand and enhance their educational experience and career goals within and outside. traditional classroom settings in accordance with the university philosophy supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and academic success.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to develop a quality research program incorporating undergraduates
- Demonstrated ability or potential to engage in innovative curricular development at the undergraduate level
- Experience in engaging and/or mentoring minoritized or underserved students in research, academic or professional opportunities, including programs designed to broaden participation of students in STEM
- Commitment to secure external funding for student-centered teaching, research, and outreach opportunities
- Experience or interest in developing and teaching online courses
- Demonstrated experience or potential to teach Master's Degree program courses
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Appointment: Full-Time, Tenure Track, 9-month Appointment. Additional Summer teaching may be available. Central Washington University is on the quarter system with appointments from mid-September through mid-June.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance.
Additional Information: For additional information about the University, visit:
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: